Multiple women have accused comedian Louis C.K. of masturbating in front of them in a bombshell New York Times article on Thursday. Now, networks who previously worked with Louis C.K. are disavowing him, and the studio that is handling the release of his upcoming controversial film is questioning the timing of its release.
Earlier Thursday, The Orchard—which purchased I Love You, Daddy at the Toronto International Film Festival—canceled the New York premiere of the film in anticipation of the New York Times story that was about to drop. On Friday, The Orchard announced in a statement it will not release I Love You, Daddy.
Louis CK's film distributor for "I Love You Daddy" won't be releasing film. Was due out Nov 17 pic.twitter.com/rGvSuLotf0— Cara Buckley (@caraNYT) November 10, 2017
Previously, The Orchard spoke about canceling the premiere of the film.
“In light of the allegations considering Louis C.K. references in today’s New York Times, we are cancelling tonight’s premiere of I Love You, Daddy,” The Orchard said in a statement. “There is never a place for the behavior detailed in these allegations. As a result, we are giving careful consideration to the timing and release of the film and continuing to review the situation.”
I Love You, Daddy was a controversial film even before the allegations against Louis C.K.—which were considered an open secret in some comedy circles—came to light. The movie features a Woody Allen-esque filmmaker who’s been accused of rape and pedophilia who hangs out with the daughter of a TV producer) and features a scene where one character mimics masturbating in front of other people. The film raised eyebrows among those who knew of the Louis C.K. rumors as well as those who viewed the film in the wake of the sexual harassment allegations against Harvey Weinstein.
Hours after the story went live, HBO announced that it was severing ties with Louis C.K. for an upcoming special and that his previous projects—which include Lucky Louie and a comedy special titled Oh My God—would be taken off its services.
“Louis C.K. will no longer be participating in the Night of Too Many Stars: America Unites for Autism Programs, which will be presented live on HBO on November 18,” HBO said in a statement, according to Vulture. “In addition, HBO is removing Louis C.K.’s past projects from its On Demand services.”
FX Networks pledged to “thoroughly investigate any allegations of misconduct” involving Louis C.K., though it noted it hadn’t received any allegations from employees.
“The network has received no allegations of misconduct by Louis C.K. related to any of our five shows produced together over the past eight years,” FX said. “FX Networks and FXP take all necessary actions to protect our employees and thoroughly investigate any allegations of misconduct within our workplace. That said, the matter is currently under review.”
This article has been updated.