- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
Euphoria, the HBO series starring Zendaya, which explores the addictions, identities, and trauma of Gen Z life, is indeed a great show. It’s also aimed at a fairly specific demographic, and while there’s nothing wrong with a 44-year-old man watching a show for teens, once his critics’ pick was out there people started connecting the dots.
u talk to girls in their 20s u gotta watch euphoria absolutely love when ppl snitch on themselves https://t.co/MSFzUR6bGi— hunter harris (@hunteryharris) July 24, 2019
Leo watches Euphoria so he can check out his future gf....he ain't fooling me— Amanda (@mandychele) July 24, 2019
It’s fairly public knowledge that DiCaprio dates women in their 20s who are also models, and that they almost never talk to the press. His current model girlfriend, Camila Morrone, is 22, though they apparently started dating when she was 20. A recent post from r/dataisbeautiful offered the visual data to support his trajectory, charting the ages of DiCaprio’s girlfriends over the last two decades, and it appears he hasn’t dated anyone over 25. There’s nothing wrong with a man in his 40s dating someone in their 20s, but there’s also a pattern at work here, one that reduces these women to literal data.
Zendaya tweeted out the clip, and Zendaya/Euphoria stans were largely thrilled, though some people warned DiCaprio to stay away from the 22-year-old actress. There were also theories that Zendaya’s character Rue was dressed as DiCaprio’s character from Titanic in the most recent episode, though Reddit believes it was actually Marlene Dietrich from Morocco, which would make a little more sense.
keep Leo away from Zendaya dot tumblr dot com pic.twitter.com/UbZqLHtUuQ— the boy meets world watcher (@alyssakeiko) July 24, 2019
A tweet from the Hollywood Reporter about DiCaprio’s long and illustrious career also drew some criticism this week. People called out the fact that DiCaprio hasn’t worked with a woman director since the ’90s, though that’s probably applicable to a lot of A-list men in Hollywood.
This is all well and good, and some fine work has come out of it, but I wouldn’t call his choices adventurous either: huge studio prestige productions with established male directors. https://t.co/a1MJo04T9y— Guy Lodge (@GuyLodge) July 22, 2019
It’s completely realistic that Morrone, the target demo for Euphoria, introduced him to the show. They are “pretty serious,” a source told People. Morrone “spends a lot of time at his house.” If anything, DiCaprio’s praise might open the show up to a new demographic.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.