- Sex workers speak out after OnlyFans leak 1 Month Ago
- Normani addresses Camila Cabello’s racist social media posts 1 Month Ago
- Mike Huckabee’s defense of Trump’s coronavirus response will make you nauseous Today 12:06 PM
- Gmail’s email filtering may affect what candidate emails you are seeing Today 11:08 AM
- Woman shares aftermath of domestic abuse: ‘This is only to raise awareness’ Today 10:40 AM
- Skai Jackson gets restraining order against Bhad Bhabie after death threat Today 10:19 AM
- Taylor Swift shades Scooter Braun in ‘The Man’ video Today 10:15 AM
- Porn stars are lining up behind Bernie Sanders Today 10:10 AM
- YouTube mom says she ‘beat’ her 2-year-old daughter for ruining her makeup kit Today 10:02 AM
- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review Today 9:20 AM
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus Today 9:19 AM
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic Today 8:42 AM
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
Lana Del Rey and boyfriend Sean Larkin were spotted on a commercial flight in economy class. While many lauded the couple for not chartering a private jet, one fan took the opportunity to mock Del Rey.
Twitter user @ZoniaDeluxe, whose account has since been suspended, tweeted out a photo of Del Rey and Larkin seated next to each other on the flight.
“‘Money is the anthem of success’ my ass,” ZoniaDeluxe wrote, per indy100, in an apparent riff on Del Rey’s song, “National Anthem” from her 2012 sophomore album Born To Die.
Fans flocked to the singer’s defense.
“Taking an economy flight to help save the planet instead of using a private jet omg we love an environmentally friendly queen,” Twitter user @lolitasdead wrote in response.
Private jets burn fuel and emit carbon dioxide at much higher rates than commercial planes.
“She can afford private jets I don’t understand why you’re trying to drag her,” Twitter user @ivettedelrey wrote.
taking an economy flight to help save the planet instead of using a private jet omg we love an environmentally friendly queen— 𝖆 (@lolitasdead) January 20, 2020
we love and enviromental friendly queen— 7/06⁷ (@lane_boy2002) January 20, 2020
Environmentally conscious Queen— sam (@luvjcksn) January 20, 2020
She can afford private jets I don’t understand why you’re trying to drag her 🧐— cherries (@ivettedelrey) January 20, 2020
Fans also pointed to other possible reasons as to why Del Rey might be flying commercial.
“Lana is actually really frugal. She’s had a cracked iPhone 6 for a long time. Clearly not a money problem since she keeps winning with each album,” Twitter user @lyndorferret wrote.
In September, fans noticed that Del Rey still used an iPhone 6 after she was filmed reading lyrics from it to sing a cover of Ariana Grande’s “Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored.”
queen of being cheap— O (@owenmarshall87) January 20, 2020
With climate change becoming an ever-pressing issue, most recently made evident by the Australia bushfires, there has been immense pressure on celebrities to be more eco-friendly when traveling. The Kardashian-Jenner clan alone is constantly dragged for taking their private jets everywhere, from simple lunch dates to lavish vacations. So, regardless of the reason behind Del Rey flying commercial, the impact it has is notable.
- Lana Del Rey addresses thief who stole ‘family mementos’
- ‘Cruel and unusual punishment’: Fans react to Lana Del Rey dating a cop
- North West picks up trash ‘everywhere she goes’ because she loves the earth
Eilish O’Sullivan is the news wire editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.