- Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over parody accounts of his mom, cow Monday 8:15 PM
- The best new movies at SXSW 2019 Monday 7:55 PM
- #AbledsAreWeird demonstrates how not to treat people with disabilities Monday 7:33 PM
- YouTubers keep uploading racist meme anthem played by New Zealand shooter Monday 5:38 PM
- Myspace confirms that a decade-plus of user-uploaded music is gone Monday 5:03 PM
- ‘Love, Death & Robots’ suffers from blatant sexism Monday 4:38 PM
- Khloe Kardashian faces backlash for Instagram post saying to ‘love thy racist neighbor’ Monday 4:07 PM
- This Twitter user wants to expose white YouTubers for racist, transphobic content Monday 3:55 PM
- Trump retweeted a QAnon supporter during his Twitter bender Monday 1:24 PM
- Katrina Pierson supports Trump tweeting more about Fox than New Zealand shooting Monday 1:19 PM
- PewDiePie’s alt-right ties are impossible to ignore Monday 1:05 PM
- With this blade, I protect this meme Monday 12:48 PM
- Lead actress in ‘The Color Purple’ revival criticized for homophobic post Monday 12:39 PM
- ‘Arrested Development’ ends the same way it did the first time—unceremoniously Monday 12:10 PM
- Alleged gunman tried to rob YouTuber Adam22 during livestream Monday 11:32 AM
Twitter roasts the out-of-touch life of Kylie Jenner
New E! series mostly highlights the disconnect between Jenner and her fans.
Kylie Jenner premiered Life of Kylie, an E! reality show about the young beauty mogul that attempts to show her “real” side. The 19-year-old has been living behind the lens of reality TV cameras since the first season of Kardashians aired in 2007, when she was 9 years old. For those hoping to get an authentic look into the life of the spiking social media star, the show falls short. In fact the debut mostly highlighted how out of touch Jenner is with other young adults her age—and viewers on Twitter noticed.
So I'm watching Life of Kylie, & all she is talking ab is wanting a "normal life" yet shes the one who created a whole tv show just ab her
— Han (@Hannahhdyck) August 7, 2017
In the show we learn that Jenner has a hard time remembering to drive her Lamborghini…
— Ash (@AshyAlxandra) August 7, 2017
Who's watching #LifeOfKylie? I can totally relate to her. She doesn't drive her Lambo and neither do I.
— Secilie Nicole (@secilienicole) August 7, 2017
…that she never went to prom…
"I've never worn a prom dress" honey you wore a gown at a met gala I'd love to switch if you want a prom dress so bad #LifeofKylie
— Ezgi (@EzgiAkgun13) August 7, 2017
…that she feels pressure to perform on social media channels for her fans…
— Chelsea Girl (@NYCChelseaGirl) August 7, 2017
…and that growing up was hard.
I love Kylie but she just said "I didn't get to grow up normal it's just so hard"…well paying bills is hard we can switch lol #LifeofKylie
— Queen Bee✨ (@OhhayyKendra) August 7, 2017
This might not be the life Jenner asked for, but she seems to have a hard time understanding how she plays into the divisions between her audience and herself. Hopefully the upcoming episodes are able to tap into a more authentic side of Jenner that fans and viewers can relate to.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.