- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware 2 Years Ago
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Today 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Today 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Today 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Today 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Today 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Today 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Today 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Today 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Today 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Today 2:45 PM
- Homophobic preacher wants Pete Buttigieg to renounce fisting and rimming Today 2:33 PM
- ‘The Liar, the Snitch, and the War Crimes’: Twitter roasts news of Trump Jr. book deal Today 12:36 PM
- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice Today 12:07 PM
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters Today 12:00 PM
Twitter roasts the out-of-touch life of Kylie Jenner
New E! series mostly highlights the disconnect between Jenner and her fans.
Kylie Jenner premiered Life of Kylie, an E! reality show about the young beauty mogul that attempts to show her “real” side. The 19-year-old has been living behind the lens of reality TV cameras since the first season of Kardashians aired in 2007, when she was 9 years old. For those hoping to get an authentic look into the life of the spiking social media star, the show falls short. In fact the debut mostly highlighted how out of touch Jenner is with other young adults her age—and viewers on Twitter noticed.
So I'm watching Life of Kylie, & all she is talking ab is wanting a "normal life" yet shes the one who created a whole tv show just ab her
— Han (@Hannahhdyck) August 7, 2017
In the show we learn that Jenner has a hard time remembering to drive her Lamborghini…
— Ash (@AshyAlxandra) August 7, 2017
Who's watching #LifeOfKylie? I can totally relate to her. She doesn't drive her Lambo and neither do I.
— Secilie Nicole (@secilienicole) August 7, 2017
…that she never went to prom…
"I've never worn a prom dress" honey you wore a gown at a met gala I'd love to switch if you want a prom dress so bad #LifeofKylie
— Ezgi (@EzgiAkgun13) August 7, 2017
…that she feels pressure to perform on social media channels for her fans…
— Chelsea Girl (@NYCChelseaGirl) August 7, 2017
…and that growing up was hard.
I love Kylie but she just said "I didn't get to grow up normal it's just so hard"…well paying bills is hard we can switch lol #LifeofKylie
— Queen Bee✨ (@OhhayyKendra) August 7, 2017
This might not be the life Jenner asked for, but she seems to have a hard time understanding how she plays into the divisions between her audience and herself. Hopefully the upcoming episodes are able to tap into a more authentic side of Jenner that fans and viewers can relate to.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.