- A lonely grandma sought family to spend Christmas with on Craigslist Saturday 5:45 PM
- Airbnb bans white supremacists tied to Iron March forum Saturday 5:07 PM
- Did a Twitter user really get tricked into naming baby ‘Jack Ingof’? Saturday 4:46 PM
- State of emergency declared in New Orleans following ‘cyberattack’ Saturday 4:12 PM
- Video shows boy getting beat up–mom says it’s because he wore MAGA hat Saturday 3:54 PM
- Billboard changing albums chart to count YouTube streams Saturday 2:43 PM
- TikTok’s 20 most popular songs of 2019 Saturday 2:14 PM
- Greek gods memes are flooding Reddit thanks to TV reboot rumors Saturday 1:47 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters aimlessly fumble through halls of Congress Saturday 12:54 PM
- Everything we know so far about the Xbox Series X Saturday 12:17 PM
- ASMR YouTuber Life with MaK says she was branded a ‘Nazi’ by online smear campaign Saturday 10:46 AM
- Voters duped by fake ex-Bloomberg intern’s tweet about being fired Saturday 9:47 AM
- HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ and the fantasy of competence Saturday 8:00 AM
- Cómo ver Kamaru Usman vs. Colby Covington en el UFC 245 Saturday 7:00 AM
- ‘Penis fish’ memes erupt after worms wash up on California coast Friday 5:58 PM
Kylie Jenner premiered Life of Kylie, an E! reality show about the young beauty mogul that attempts to show her “real” side. The 19-year-old has been living behind the lens of reality TV cameras since the first season of Kardashians aired in 2007, when she was 9 years old. For those hoping to get an authentic look into the life of the spiking social media star, the show falls short. In fact the debut mostly highlighted how out of touch Jenner is with other young adults her age—and viewers on Twitter noticed.
So I'm watching Life of Kylie, & all she is talking ab is wanting a "normal life" yet shes the one who created a whole tv show just ab her— Han (@Hannahhdyck) August 7, 2017
In the show we learn that Jenner has a hard time remembering to drive her Lamborghini…
Who's watching #LifeOfKylie? I can totally relate to her. She doesn't drive her Lambo and neither do I.— Secilie Nicole (@secilienicole) August 7, 2017
…that she never went to prom…
"I've never worn a prom dress" honey you wore a gown at a met gala I'd love to switch if you want a prom dress so bad #LifeofKylie— Ezgi (@EzgiAkgun13) August 7, 2017
…that she feels pressure to perform on social media channels for her fans…
…and that growing up was hard.
I love Kylie but she just said "I didn't get to grow up normal it's just so hard"...well paying bills is hard we can switch lol #LifeofKylie— Queen Bee✨ (@OhhayyKendra) August 7, 2017
This might not be the life Jenner asked for, but she seems to have a hard time understanding how she plays into the divisions between her audience and herself. Hopefully the upcoming episodes are able to tap into a more authentic side of Jenner that fans and viewers can relate to.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.