- What is the TikTok drink and can you still get it? Thursday 9:27 PM
- “Party, Party, Party” TikTok meme grapples with party culture Thursday 8:43 PM
- Baby Yoda was just added to Sims 4 Thursday 7:54 PM
- Religious conservatives petition Netflix to pull ‘gay Jesus’ Christmas comedy Thursday 7:19 PM
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post Thursday 5:57 PM
- Apex Legends became a major Pornhub search in 2019 Thursday 5:15 PM
- CBS accidentally interviewed InfoWars host as regular Trump supporter Thursday 4:31 PM
- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples Thursday 3:41 PM
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next Thursday 3:20 PM
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Thursday 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Thursday 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Thursday 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Thursday 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Thursday 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Thursday 12:00 PM
Hulu this week officially canceled The Path, its critically heralded series starring Aaron Paul as a cult leader. Series creator Jessica Goldberg said the show wouldn’t be back via Twitter on Monday, and released a statement to Variety on Tuesday. After three seasons, she’s grateful for the run:
“While it’s sad that The Path is ending, I’m brimming with gratitude and pride. It was a gift to be able to tell challenging and emotional stories for three seasons in this very strange and unique world… The caliber of talent and passion everyone who worked on this show brought– from my partners Jason Katims and Michelle Lee, the execs at Hulu, the writers, actors, directors, designers, and crew– was something to behold, and for which I’m very thankful. Thanks Hulu and Universal Television for taking a shot on this show, it was a life changing experience.”
Goldberg is now working on Suspicion, a new NBC drama that just garnered a pilot order.
The Path‘s season 3 wrapped just last month. For his part, Paul tweeted in solidarity.
‘Round these parts, we were fans. As Dot contributor Chris Osterndorf noted: “It’s one of the streaming age’s early blockbusters, from a bygone era known as ‘2016.’ The Path, starring Breaking Bad’s Aaron Paul, appeared to have all the right ingredients to give Hulu a legitimate original calling card. It took three seasons, but the prestige drama about cult leaders and those susceptible to following them has finally delivered on the promise of the premise.”
Alas, the show peaked near its end. Hulu’s original series debuts are few in numbers and there’s less margin for error it seems, with only The Handmaid’s Tale, which returns Wednesday for season 2, making a legitimate dent in the lexicon. All the same, we still heartily recommend The Looming Tower and Hard Sun. When the Stephen King adaptation Castle Rock debuts this summer, Hulu should have a prestige tentpole show that can compete with Stranger Things.
Ramon Ramirez is the news director, and formerly the Dot's entertainment editor and evening editor. His work has appeared in the Washington Post, Grantland, Washington City Paper, Austin American-Statesman, and Austin Monitor.