- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Wednesday 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Wednesday 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Wednesday 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Wednesday 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Wednesday 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Wednesday 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Wednesday 10:43 AM
Harry Styles steps in for James Corden after ‘Late Late Show’ host’s wife goes into labor
Corden was pulled from the studio unexpectedly Tuesday for an exciting reason: His wife had gone into labor with the couple’s third child. Luckily, Styles had just made an appearance on the show Monday and still happened to be in Los Angeles. So, with two-and-a-half hours’ notice, the pop star was able to drive across town, throw on a blazer, and give America the 30 minutes of upbeat comedy it craved.
He did a full monologue, interviewed guests Joel Edgerton, Jane Krakowski, and Owen Wilson, and introduced a musical performance from Seal, all with his signature pop star cool. The studio audience seemed surprised to say the least:
Corden announced his daughter’s birth and thanked Styles for filling in on Twitter Tuesday evening:
Today we welcomed a beautiful baby daughter into the world. Both she and her mother are doing great. We can’t stop smiling. Thank you Harry for stepping in to host the show at 2 and a half hours notice! x x x
— James Corden (@JKCorden) December 13, 2017
This wasn’t Styles’ first time in a late-night host’s chair. Earlier this year he “killed” Jimmy Fallon to take over the Tonight Show.
“I want you to know that I, of course, realize that this is James’ show,” Styles joked during the monologue. “It’s his show, and this is a one-time-only, one-time thing. Unless CBS likes what they see.”
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.