- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
Between the speeches, the Bernie bros, and the historic election of America’s first-ever female presidential nominee, there was plenty to talk about with regard to this week’s Democratic National Convention. But some people have a very specific bone to pick. Namely, with one audience member: Bradley Cooper.
The actor, who starred in the film American Sniper back in 2014, was in the crowd Wednesday evening for Barack Obama and Bill Clinton‘s speeches. He probably didn’t expect a camera to cut to him during the broadcast, but he definitely couldn’t have anticipated the backlash he’d receive for attending at all.
Conservative fans who loved his portrayal of Navy Seal Chris Kyle immediately began pledging to boycot the rest of Cooper’s movies:
Bradley Cooper at DNC?! Guess I’ve seen my last Bradley Cooper movie. Ewww Ick
— The Real ExTex (@theRealExTex) July 28, 2016
As the story blew up, fans on Twitter started coming to the actor’s defense:
Whys Bradley Cooper getting hate forgoing to the DNC??? He’s an actor… Hes not his character…
— Brooke Rondeau (@BNRondo) July 29, 2016
people are over here giving Bradley Cooper shit about the DNC cuz he was in American Sniper that’s like saying “oh Tim Allen isn’t Santa?!”
— Colin (@duncan_donuts28) July 29, 2016
conservatives:”liberals get offended easily”
conservatives: *mad that Bradley Cooper went to DNC bc he played Chris Kyle in American Sniper*
— Mariana (@__marianaab) July 29, 2016
If Republicans boycott stars like Bradley Cooper who support Hillary, they won’t be going to movies, concerts or watching much tv anymore
— lsposner (@lsposner) July 29, 2016
The funny thing is, all this commotion could have been avoided with a Google search. Cooper has been a vocal liberal since long before this week’s convention. He donated to Hillary Clinton’s 2008 campaign, and has also been an advocate for President Obama’s healthcare reform and gun control initiatives.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.