- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’ 3 Years Ago
- ‘Game of Thrones’ fulfilled a twisted version of its biggest prophecy Today 8:17 AM
- Minions memes are more popular than the far-right on Telegram Today 7:35 AM
- ‘Best of Nextdoor’ reveals the true insanity of modern life Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Jeopardy’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- There’s a water bottle hiding in the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:46 AM
- What happens to Disney’s Loki TV series after ‘Avengers: Endgame’? Today 6:30 AM
- Brienne writing Jaime’s history is the best meme from the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Today 6:25 AM
- How to stream live TV on PlayStation 4 Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Disney XD online for free Today 5:30 AM
- Who survived the ‘Game of Thrones’ series finale? Sunday 10:21 PM
- Justin Bieber fans are damaging one of Iceland’s top tourist spots Sunday 1:28 PM
- James Charles drops 41-minute response video to Tati Westbrook’s accusations Sunday 1:15 PM
- Watch what happens when this Twitch streamer quits his job on camera Sunday 12:25 PM
- Men are finally sharing their abortion stories Sunday 10:58 AM
‘American Sniper’ Bradley Cooper’s trip to the DNC sparks conservative outrage
Right-wing fans are calling for Cooper boycotts.
Between the speeches, the Bernie bros, and the historic election of America’s first-ever female presidential nominee, there was plenty to talk about with regard to this week’s Democratic National Convention. But some people have a very specific bone to pick. Namely, with one audience member: Bradley Cooper.
The actor, who starred in the film American Sniper back in 2014, was in the crowd Wednesday evening for Barack Obama and Bill Clinton‘s speeches. He probably didn’t expect a camera to cut to him during the broadcast, but he definitely couldn’t have anticipated the backlash he’d receive for attending at all.
Conservative fans who loved his portrayal of Navy Seal Chris Kyle immediately began pledging to boycot the rest of Cooper’s movies:
Bradley Cooper at DNC?! Guess I’ve seen my last Bradley Cooper movie. Ewww Ick
— The Real ExTex (@theRealExTex) July 28, 2016
As the story blew up, fans on Twitter started coming to the actor’s defense:
Whys Bradley Cooper getting hate forgoing to the DNC??? He’s an actor… Hes not his character…
— Brooke Rondeau (@BNRondo) July 29, 2016
people are over here giving Bradley Cooper shit about the DNC cuz he was in American Sniper that’s like saying “oh Tim Allen isn’t Santa?!”
— Colin (@duncan_donuts28) July 29, 2016
conservatives:”liberals get offended easily”
conservatives: *mad that Bradley Cooper went to DNC bc he played Chris Kyle in American Sniper*
— Mariana (@__marianaab) July 29, 2016
If Republicans boycott stars like Bradley Cooper who support Hillary, they won’t be going to movies, concerts or watching much tv anymore
— lsposner (@lsposner) July 29, 2016
The funny thing is, all this commotion could have been avoided with a Google search. Cooper has been a vocal liberal since long before this week’s convention. He donated to Hillary Clinton’s 2008 campaign, and has also been an advocate for President Obama’s healthcare reform and gun control initiatives.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.