- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller 3 Years Ago
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Today 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Today 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
- Here are some cringey billboards Bloomberg ran in Arizona Friday 2:51 PM
- PewDiePie returns to YouTube after 37-day hiatus Friday 2:01 PM
- Why was a Republican Party Facebook page co-managed by someone in Turkmenistan? Friday 1:26 PM
- The shorthand guide to ‘Star Wars: The Clone Wars’ Friday 1:07 PM
- Congress urges Tinder to screen for sex offenders Friday 1:03 PM
Singer Anohni has released a video for the song “Obama,” off her latest album Hopelessness, along with a plea for the release of Chelsea Manning.
Anohni, formerly the singer of Antony and the Johnsons, included an open letter to President Obama in the description of the video, and the song—which was produced by Oneohtrix Point Never—includes lyrics about “punishing the whistleblowers/Those who tell the truth.”
Manning, who is transgender, is serving a 35-year sentence for leaking thousands of government documents to WikiLeaks. The harsh sentence has been appealed, but Manning remains in prison in Kansas, where she attempted suicide earlier this year. She’s also faced new charges amid the attempt. In September, she announced a hunger strike to protest her treatment in prison.
Anohni, who is also trans, is appealing directly to Obama in his last weeks in office, asking him to pardon her. “With Trump incoming,” she writes, “if you leave Chelsea in prison, she will never see the light of day, or worse.”
Here’s the full letter:
OBAMA, I voted for you. I campaigned for you across Europe.
Like thousands of others, in the newspapers and on TV, I told European press that you were a feminist, a kind and reasonable man, a just and fair man, that you would restore our country’s dignity.
OBAMA, Please let Chelsea Manning out of prison.
Recognize her tremendous sacrifice, and her vulnerability.
With Trump incoming, if you leave Chelsea in prison, she will never see the light of day, or worse.
If you leave Chelsea Manning in prison for whistle blowing
You send the final message to our nation that the Obama administration brutally punished moral courage in these unforgiving United States.
She has suffered Enough, President Obama.
She poses no threat.
Show us the heart of the Obama administration now.
The election is over.
There is no political advantage left in allowing Chelsea to perish in prison.
Have mercy on her, Obama,
friend of the trans community:
I implore you to Free Chelsea Manning.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.