- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Today 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Today 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Today 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Today 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
Singer Anohni has released a video for the song “Obama,” off her latest album Hopelessness, along with a plea for the release of Chelsea Manning.
Anohni, formerly the singer of Antony and the Johnsons, included an open letter to President Obama in the description of the video, and the song—which was produced by Oneohtrix Point Never—includes lyrics about “punishing the whistleblowers/Those who tell the truth.”
Manning, who is transgender, is serving a 35-year sentence for leaking thousands of government documents to WikiLeaks. The harsh sentence has been appealed, but Manning remains in prison in Kansas, where she attempted suicide earlier this year. She’s also faced new charges amid the attempt. In September, she announced a hunger strike to protest her treatment in prison.
Anohni, who is also trans, is appealing directly to Obama in his last weeks in office, asking him to pardon her. “With Trump incoming,” she writes, “if you leave Chelsea in prison, she will never see the light of day, or worse.”
Here’s the full letter:
OBAMA, I voted for you. I campaigned for you across Europe.
Like thousands of others, in the newspapers and on TV, I told European press that you were a feminist, a kind and reasonable man, a just and fair man, that you would restore our country’s dignity.
OBAMA, Please let Chelsea Manning out of prison.
Recognize her tremendous sacrifice, and her vulnerability.
With Trump incoming, if you leave Chelsea in prison, she will never see the light of day, or worse.
If you leave Chelsea Manning in prison for whistle blowing
You send the final message to our nation that the Obama administration brutally punished moral courage in these unforgiving United States.
She has suffered Enough, President Obama.
She poses no threat.
Show us the heart of the Obama administration now.
The election is over.
There is no political advantage left in allowing Chelsea to perish in prison.
Have mercy on her, Obama,
friend of the trans community:
I implore you to Free Chelsea Manning.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.