- BlackBerry Messenger is still a thing—but not for much longer 2 Years Ago
- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event Today 1:33 PM
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Today 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Today 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Today 12:00 PM
- 7 of the best psychological thriller movies on Shudder Today 11:44 AM
- Seth Abramson’s epic Mueller thread finally comes to a conclusion Today 11:40 AM
- Netflix is testing out a random play feature Today 11:28 AM
- Teen star Danielle Cohn faked pregnancy for YouTube prank Today 10:55 AM
- How to watch ‘A Discovery of Witches’ for free Today 10:42 AM
- Rev up your own family rivalries with these ‘Game of Thrones’ board games Today 10:29 AM
- Mueller’s ‘harm to ongoing matter’ is the best way to stay silent about your life Today 10:21 AM
- 10 Korean skincare brands that are worth your money Today 10:00 AM
- 20 unique Mother’s Day gifts for the cool moms Today 9:45 AM
- Ancestry.com ad tries to sell slavery as romance—not rape Today 9:44 AM
It’s so beautiful.
Once you’ve seen it, you’ll never be able to get it out of your head: a piece of fan art from the ’90s Disney sensation A Goofy Movie, depicting the relationship between Goofy’s son Max and his crush Roxanne. But Max looks more like Goofy, and he’s telling Roxanne (who’s dressed in a Thrasher tee for some reason), “Wow queen you’re so beautiful.”
The piece, posted back in April by Instagram user @eboni_, struck viewers as bizarre and hilarious, and it has since become one of those things that people on Twitter confess they can’t stop thinking about:
can’t see anyone wearing thrasher without immediately thinking about “wow queen you’re so beautiful”, making my day significantly tolerable
— car seat headass (@nicedickmydude) November 15, 2016
whenever someone says you’re beautiful all I can think of now is “wow queen you’re so beautiful”
— ??? (@toothpastepixie) November 7, 2016
Honestly I really think about that picture of headass goofy saying wow queen you’re so beautiful everyday & how much I hate it
— vic 👼🏼 (@victoriageezzyy) October 27, 2016
I think about “Wow queen you’re so beautiful” WAY more often than I want to.
— Ms. X Indeed (@WhereDidJennyGo) October 23, 2016
sometimes that “wow queen you’re so beautiful” goofy comic pops in myy head and it just pisses me off for a while
— adam’s restaurant (@AdamAndrewLenox) November 15, 2016
What is it about this drawing that gets under everyone’s skin? This list is a good place to start:
Every time you look at the picture, you find some confusing new detail to focus on: Goofy/Max’s 1995 jacket, the little crown above Roxanne’s head… It’s just such a rich vein of weirdness.
But the level of hate for the drawing seems to be out of proportion to how bad it is.
imagine being the person who made the “wow queen you’re so beautiful” drawing n the most viral tweet is someone saying they hope ur dead
— god bless babadook (@sexualjumanji) November 15, 2016
Many people think “wow queen” is bad, but what if I told you it’s actually extremely good?
It’s not just about the Goofy drawing anymore: The catchphrase has gone far beyond its original context. Any pic of two characters talking, whether it’s poorly rendered fan art or a photo, can be made funny by captioning it “wow queen you’re so beautiful.” Hell, it doesn’t even have to be two characters. Observe:
“Wow queen” has all the hallmarks of a strong meme. It’s got recognizable characters posed in a repeatable format, a number of great details to replicate (“Thrasher” is perfect), and a catchphrase that can be used both ironically and sincerely.
Wow, queen. This meme is so bad that it’s almost beautiful.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.