- CLIF Bar and KIND Snacks are in a bizarre social media war Today 2:55 PM
- Caillou is how tall? Today 1:32 PM
- No, that video of a Boston Dynamics robot attacking its creators is not real Today 12:40 PM
- Alex Jones places $1 million bounty on culprit who planted child porn on his InfoWars server Today 12:03 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ star’s new Netflix prank show is receiving backlash Today 9:04 AM
- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
‘My car was eaten by animals,’ said the Speaker.
Ryan was addressing the Economic Club of Washington D.C. when the subject of his security detail came up. As Speaker of the House, Ryan, who is stepping down from the position, mentioned that he hadn’t driven a car in three years.
“So I had an old Chevy Suburban,” Ryan told the audience, “which was made in Janesville [Janesville WI, where Ryan was born]. We used to make those. I kept it at my Mom’s house, but my mom’s a snowbird and she would go turn it on every month just to keep it going. She goes to Florida for the winter, she comes back, tries it, she says ‘Ah, it’s just dead you gotta tow this thing in’. So I towed it into the dealer. They put it up and they realized a family of woodchucks lived in the underbody of my Suburban, and they ate all the wiring out of it! So my car was eaten by animals.”
You can check out the anecdote at approximately 41 minutes into the video below.
The D.C. audience got a good laugh out of the story, but Twitter seems to be enjoying it on a whole different level.
Woodchucks… welcome to the resistance…
— jayedcoins 🌯 (@jayedcoins) July 12, 2018
Cool how the beasts of the field are rising up As Was Foretold in the Prophecy
— Kyle Marquis (@Moochava) July 12, 2018
RISE MY CHILDREN. RISE AND FEAST https://t.co/ivx5MfpWYx
— rae paoletta (@PAYOLETTER) July 12, 2018
But which animal ate his soul though?
— Eartha’s LoveKitt (@EffBrandi) July 12, 2018
#Resist is apparently interspecies.
— Kevin (@Beer4TheBeerGod) July 12, 2018
— sophie (@philo_soph_er) July 13, 2018
Vote for woodchucks! pic.twitter.com/ob04EA2Y1J
— Katalin Pota ☮️ (@katalin_pota) July 12, 2018
Ryan said he plans to get a Ford F-150 to replace the Suburban, but his other plans are a bit vaguer. When asked if he was considering a presidential run in 2020, he said he had no such plans. “You never say never to such things,” he said at the time, “but I really, really do not have it in my mind.”
“I don’t know what I’m going to do next,” Ryan said at the end of the interview. “But it’s going to be something.”
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.