- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Monday 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Monday 12:11 PM
Trainy is the work of a cheeky employee at South West Trains, captured in photos as it pulled into Waterloo today:
South West Trains told the Standard that Trainy McTrainface is real, praising the guard who named it for bringing a smile to commuters’ faces.
And while Trainy is a one-day-only affair, I suspect we haven’t heard the end of Thingy McThingfaces coming out of Britain.
“We’ve met with triumph and disaster, and we’ve always made a bum gag just the same. Love it or loathe it, schoolboy humor runs in our blood like Bovril and weak bitter,” she explained.
Although I can only parse half of those extremely British words, it’s confirmed: The U.K. Internet is cheeky as hell and will probably take every opportunity to run this meme into the ground with further McThingies.
Scientists are already joking about naming astronomical objects and species in the same manner, and everyone knows that by the time a meme makes its way to the academic world, that ish is Oldie McOldface.
Photo via Harry Wallop/Twitter
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.