- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
- Jake Paul calls out KSI for a YouTube boxing match Friday 11:31 AM
- This elementary school made students play ‘runaway slave’ Friday 11:20 AM
- ‘Captain Marvel’ is already a box office hit Friday 11:06 AM
- This ‘buff bunny vs. small bunny’ meme is here for when you’re feeling inferior Friday 10:53 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez slams trolls who come at her with ‘weak’ memes Friday 10:52 AM
The Smash Mouth-Oakland A’s Twitter beef is your new favorite rivalry
Get your game on. Go play.
Musical Guy Fieri cosplay outfit Smash Mouth just threw down on the Oakland A’s. Both were watching Game 3 of the World Series, which featured former Athletics player and current Cleveland Indians outfield Coco Crisp deliver big time. Crisp was responsible for the lone run that netted the Indians a victory and has them up 2-1 in the series. And it’s great to see a former A do the damn thing!
…Except not when you’re a bitter band from San Jose, a town with a shitty San Francisco Giants minor league team and with little hope of drawing a big league franchise to the cesspool of Silicon Valley.
It all started late Friday night with San Francisco Chronicle columnist John Shea serving up a fiery hot take on Crisp’s final stand with the A’s.
Coco Crisp goes from accusing A’s of benching him to prevent $13M option from vesting to hitting key RBI single for Indians in World Series.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) October 29, 2016
Smash and Mouth apparently weren’t having it, though they did congratulate Crisp on getting the fuck out of Oakland.
Naturally, the A’s took notice, fired up the grill, and roasted the hell out of the “All Star” band.
It’s worth noting that A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle also joined in the fun, delivering a few puns in the process.
Smash Mouth was no match for this squad, striking out royally on Twitter. All while the A’s earned a few new fans in the process. Hey now.
Update 2:15pm CT, Oct. 29: It appears the A’s have apologized to Smash Mouth. Peep the green and gold olive branch:
If there’s not a Smash Mouth guy/Guy Fieri/Violent J bobblehead giveaway or a Shrek soundtrack-themed fireworks night in the works I’m burning my Rickey Henderson jersey.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.