- Reddit Relationships: Man laughs at girlfriend for using Microsoft PowerPoint during sex Thursday 8:59 PM
- The 15 Brad Pitt movies you need to see now, ranked Thursday 8:26 PM
- Facebook could face legal action over the Area 51 event Thursday 6:50 PM
- How to stream Texans vs. Chargers in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 6:40 PM
- Tekashi 69 alleges Cardi B was a Bloods gang member Thursday 5:55 PM
- Right-wing sites falsely claimed group of Somalis attacked man in viral video Thursday 5:00 PM
- Big creators risk losing checkmarks amid YouTube verification purge Thursday 4:56 PM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Lions in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 4:52 PM
- How to stream Steelers vs. 49ers in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 4:10 PM
- How to stream Bills vs. Bengals in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 4:03 PM
- Colt halts production of AR-15s for civilians Thursday 3:45 PM
- If you love long-winded, hashtag-heavy Instagram captions, these apps can help Thursday 2:54 PM
- Teen girls on TikTok have convinced the internet that they eat their tampons Thursday 2:33 PM
- Twitch streamer faces criticism for trying to defend racist jokes Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Raiders vs. Vikings in Week 3 Thursday 12:55 PM
The Smash Mouth-Oakland A’s Twitter beef is your new favorite rivalry
Get your game on. Go play.
Musical Guy Fieri cosplay outfit Smash Mouth just threw down on the Oakland A’s. Both were watching Game 3 of the World Series, which featured former Athletics player and current Cleveland Indians outfield Coco Crisp deliver big time. Crisp was responsible for the lone run that netted the Indians a victory and has them up 2-1 in the series. And it’s great to see a former A do the damn thing!
…Except not when you’re a bitter band from San Jose, a town with a shitty San Francisco Giants minor league team and with little hope of drawing a big league franchise to the cesspool of Silicon Valley.
It all started late Friday night with San Francisco Chronicle columnist John Shea serving up a fiery hot take on Crisp’s final stand with the A’s.
Coco Crisp goes from accusing A’s of benching him to prevent $13M option from vesting to hitting key RBI single for Indians in World Series.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) October 29, 2016
Smash and Mouth apparently weren’t having it, though they did congratulate Crisp on getting the fuck out of Oakland.
Naturally, the A’s took notice, fired up the grill, and roasted the hell out of the “All Star” band.
It’s worth noting that A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle also joined in the fun, delivering a few puns in the process.
Smash Mouth was no match for this squad, striking out royally on Twitter. All while the A’s earned a few new fans in the process. Hey now.
Update 2:15pm CT, Oct. 29: It appears the A’s have apologized to Smash Mouth. Peep the green and gold olive branch:
If there’s not a Smash Mouth guy/Guy Fieri/Violent J bobblehead giveaway or a Shrek soundtrack-themed fireworks night in the works I’m burning my Rickey Henderson jersey.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.