- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
The Smash Mouth-Oakland A’s Twitter beef is your new favorite rivalry
Get your game on. Go play.
Musical Guy Fieri cosplay outfit Smash Mouth just threw down on the Oakland A’s. Both were watching Game 3 of the World Series, which featured former Athletics player and current Cleveland Indians outfield Coco Crisp deliver big time. Crisp was responsible for the lone run that netted the Indians a victory and has them up 2-1 in the series. And it’s great to see a former A do the damn thing!
…Except not when you’re a bitter band from San Jose, a town with a shitty San Francisco Giants minor league team and with little hope of drawing a big league franchise to the cesspool of Silicon Valley.
It all started late Friday night with San Francisco Chronicle columnist John Shea serving up a fiery hot take on Crisp’s final stand with the A’s.
Coco Crisp goes from accusing A’s of benching him to prevent $13M option from vesting to hitting key RBI single for Indians in World Series.
— John Shea (@JohnSheaHey) October 29, 2016
Smash and Mouth apparently weren’t having it, though they did congratulate Crisp on getting the fuck out of Oakland.
Naturally, the A’s took notice, fired up the grill, and roasted the hell out of the “All Star” band.
It’s worth noting that A’s pitcher Sean Doolittle also joined in the fun, delivering a few puns in the process.
Smash Mouth was no match for this squad, striking out royally on Twitter. All while the A’s earned a few new fans in the process. Hey now.
Update 2:15pm CT, Oct. 29: It appears the A’s have apologized to Smash Mouth. Peep the green and gold olive branch:
If there’s not a Smash Mouth guy/Guy Fieri/Violent J bobblehead giveaway or a Shrek soundtrack-themed fireworks night in the works I’m burning my Rickey Henderson jersey.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.