- What you need to know about Google’s ‘quantum supremacy’ claim Wednesday 11:48 PM
- Workers claim Google made spy tool to prevent them from organizing Wednesday 8:13 PM
- Hailey Bieber denies shading Selena Gomez with ‘I’ll Kill You’ Instagram post Wednesday 7:46 PM
- Trump signed an ego tweet sheet for Tomi Lahren–and it features conspiracy theorists Wednesday 6:59 PM
- Attorneys say ICE deleted evidence pertaining to transgender asylum seeker’s death Wednesday 6:24 PM
- Everything you need to know about VSCO filter codes Wednesday 6:17 PM
- Are users prepared to pay for Gmail storage space? Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Facebook pledges $1 billion to fight housing crisis it helped create Wednesday 5:16 PM
- Lizzo officially credits ‘DNA test’ tweet writer on ‘Truth Hurts’ Wednesday 4:50 PM
- Pornhub takes down videos secretly filmed in a college women’s locker room Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google Maps on iPhone now shows you speed traps Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Here’s why you’re seeing ‘rise and shine’ all over social media Wednesday 3:45 PM
- AOC grills Zuckerberg over false political ads on Facebook Wednesday 3:27 PM
- Fox News promotes pro-faith, anti-antifa film ‘The Reliant’ Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Cardi B to star in ‘Fast & Furious 9’ Wednesday 3:12 PM
Smart Trump takes the basic principle of Roll Safe—something that sounds like a bright idea, but is actually a recipe for miserable failure—and applies it to the Trump presidency.
In case his ubiquitous face has somehow failed to make it into your feed, this is Roll Safe:
And this is Smart Trump:
On Reddit’s various meme forums, turning other characters into Roll Safe is the hottest thing going right now, and Trump has become one of the most popular subjects.
Here are a couple more examples, including one with the great addition of Rick Perry-esque glasses—so you know this is “Smart Trump,” not just regular, 12-billion-dollar-wall-building Trump.
Posters on Reddit‘s meme economy subreddit are advising meme aficionados to invest heavily in Smart Trump memes right now, saying they have “extreme longevity” and are expected to do nothing but rise in popularity.
As Roll Safe gets his well-deserved big break and goes hugely mainstream, Reddit’s memers are already beginning to see him as a “normie” meme. Only variations like Smart Trump are cool now.
This is what always happens to good Black Twitter memes after they get appropriated by Reddit, though, and most of us can just ignore it.
Roll Safe is the best, funniest, meme to come along in a good while. To the majority of the population, who aren’t meme hipsters, he’s still extremely good and should be posted for weeks, maybe months, to come.
Until the #brands get ahold of him and start using him in marketing tweets, that is.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.