- Daenerys’ passive-aggressive smile is a very relatable meme Tuesday 11:18 PM
- Kentucky food truck repurposes ‘LGBTQ’ to support Trump, BBQ Tuesday 8:47 PM
- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
‘Smart Trump’ is the Roll Safe spinoff meme that’s going to be yuge
Smart Trump takes the basic principle of Roll Safe—something that sounds like a bright idea, but is actually a recipe for miserable failure—and applies it to the Trump presidency.
In case his ubiquitous face has somehow failed to make it into your feed, this is Roll Safe:
And this is Smart Trump:
On Reddit’s various meme forums, turning other characters into Roll Safe is the hottest thing going right now, and Trump has become one of the most popular subjects.
Here are a couple more examples, including one with the great addition of Rick Perry-esque glasses—so you know this is “Smart Trump,” not just regular, 12-billion-dollar-wall-building Trump.
Posters on Reddit‘s meme economy subreddit are advising meme aficionados to invest heavily in Smart Trump memes right now, saying they have “extreme longevity” and are expected to do nothing but rise in popularity.
As Roll Safe gets his well-deserved big break and goes hugely mainstream, Reddit’s memers are already beginning to see him as a “normie” meme. Only variations like Smart Trump are cool now.
This is what always happens to good Black Twitter memes after they get appropriated by Reddit, though, and most of us can just ignore it.
Roll Safe is the best, funniest, meme to come along in a good while. To the majority of the population, who aren’t meme hipsters, he’s still extremely good and should be posted for weeks, maybe months, to come.
Until the #brands get ahold of him and start using him in marketing tweets, that is.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.