- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ 1 Year Ago
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Today 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
San Francisco residents got a shitty surprise on Saturday when a massive bag of feces was dropped on a sidewalk in the city’s Tenderloin district, BuzzFeed News reports.
Several people sent requests to the city’s 311 site about the bag of poop left on the corner of Cedar and Polk Streets. Many identified the “smelly” waste as human feces.
A Reddit user posted a screenshot of the incident’s report from Citizen, an app that notifies people in metropolitan areas of crime around them, to the San Francisco subreddit. It said that “twenty pounds of feces” were dumped onto the sidewalk. Though some wrote it off as “just another usual day in San Francisco,” others were horrified by the sight.
User tusi2 made another post in the subreddit with a photo of the bag, marked as NSFW. “The ‘20 pounds’ of poop at Polk and Cedar were still there as of 8PM. I’ll update at 10PM,” the post’s title said. Commentators complained about the pungent odor, which could be smelled from “a block away,” and speculated about the size of the bag. The mess was reportedly removed later that night.
Nancy Alfaro, a spokesperson for 311, told SFGate that while the city receives many reports of human feces, the amount of waste in this case was unusual. It is still unconfirmed whether the bag contained human or animal feces, if it was truly 20 pounds, and how it ended up on the corner.
This is not the first time San Francisco has ended up in the news for its less-than-stellar sanitation. Web developer Jennifer Wong created an interactive map in 2014 that showed the locations of human waste reports in San Francisco to bring attention to its homelessness issue. In 2015, the city tried to control public urination by coating walls with a paint treatment that repelled human urine.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.