- Black man films ‘Crosswalk Cathy’ yelling racist slurs at him Tuesday 6:47 PM
- Guerrilla artists turn John Oliver billboard ad into right-wing meme Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Netflix lines up unnecessarily good cast for ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Netflix drops trailer for Mötley Crüe biopic ‘The Dirt’—and the cast is wild Tuesday 3:41 PM
- QAnon’s repetitive posts are alienating even his most ardent supporters Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Noah Cyrus cries on Instagram after Lil Xan’s baby announcement Tuesday 2:26 PM
- The ‘Well yes, but actually no’ meme is here to help you explain things Tuesday 12:07 PM
- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post Tuesday 11:24 AM
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency Tuesday 11:09 AM
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free Tuesday 11:08 AM
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre Tuesday 11:01 AM
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale Tuesday 10:43 AM
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why Tuesday 10:40 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Tuesday 10:23 AM
Girl gets the 100,000 retweets she asked for, thereby securing adorable puppy
She got some help from a certain celebrity.
It’s only been four days since we reported on Clara Foster, the high school senior whose dad promised her a puppy if she could get 100,000 retweets. She needed 70,000 more retweets, and we speculated that it was only a matter of time before she reached her goal.
Well, that didn’t take long! She crossed the 100,000 RTs mark on Thursday, thanks to a bit of celebrity assistance.
Jared Padalecki, of Gilmore Girls and Supernatural fame, has a huge and dedicated following online, so when he retweeted Clara on Thursday, it put her viral puppy-wanting campaign over the top.
The increased attention has come with some concern trolling; people have suggested that the decision to adopt an animal shouldn’t be made based on an arbitrary number of retweets. But chill with the Internet outrage, my friends, because Clara has thought this through.
She told the Daily Dot earlier this week that, although she’s going off to college, she and her family will make sure the puppy is taken care of. And the new family member will be filling the hole in their hearts after their dog of 13 years passed away recently.
“We had talked about maybe having the dog stay with my cousins in Oklahoma, where I will be attending college, so that was how I got my dad to agree to the whole retweet thing,” Clara wrote.
She added that the puppy in her Twitter photo isn’t the exact dog she’ll be adopting—that one already has a home—but she’s looking at a dog from the same litter. If that doesn’t work out, she’ll adopt from a shelter.
We reached out to Clara to ask whether her dad intends to follow through on their deal, and we’ll update if we hear back.
Update 12:43pm CT, March 18: Clara is indeed getting a puppy. “Yes I am definitely getting the puppy!” she told the Daily Dot. “Right now the puppy is in Oklahoma with my cousin and we are trying to figure out how to get her down to Houston to bring Olly to me now! She is hopefully coming next weekend because I want to get my puppy as soon as possible. :)”
Photo via Claraf_ication/Twitter
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.