- Instagram has mixed feelings about Mindy Kaling supporting Aziz Ansari Saturday 5:02 PM
- Donald Trump keeps pushing his unsubstantiated voter fraud claims Saturday 4:09 PM
- Report: YouTube will no longer run ads on anti-vax channels Saturday 2:54 PM
- Microsoft employees want to cancel a $479 million contract with the U.S. military Saturday 1:14 PM
- Queso recipe gets launched to space Saturday 10:09 AM
- ‘Isabelle Facts’ was a wholesome queer meme account—until harassers showed up Saturday 8:28 AM
- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Saturday 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Saturday 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Saturday 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
Oct. 7 marked Russian President Vladimir Putin‘s 65th birthday. But Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov, the president of Turkmenistan, gave Putin a late birthday gift on Wednesday during a meeting in Sochi: a puppy named Verny.
Putin seemed oddly happy about the gift.
— Reuters Top News (@Reuters) October 11, 2017
This isn’t the first puppy that Putin has received as a gift. In 2010 he was given a Karakachan puppy, which he named Buffy, from the Bulgarian prime minister. Putin also has an Akita dog named Yume. It seems that Putin has a soft spot for dogs.
But the handoff of the new puppy was super weird. Why is Berdymukhamedov holding the animal like it’s covered in dirt? Yes, it’s normal to pick up a small puppy by the scuff of its neck. But this was a photographed event. It was an awkward and weird way to present the puppy to Putin.
Putin got a puppy for his birthday and the handoff was totally normal pic.twitter.com/lwNPaIA38i
— Ryan Perry (@rynprry) October 11, 2017
did he need to hold it aloft like Ned Stark's head?
— Peaoui (@Peaoui_UK) October 11, 2017
Putin handled the puppy with more care. He cradled it in his arms and kissed it before letting it walk around. Some people thought Putin’s reaction to the puppy made the Russian leader appear more tender.
Seeing Putin get a puppy for his birthday almost makes him seem human.
— ✏ Isaac ✏ (@Isaac061300) October 11, 2017
I like the "kiss" he gave the puppy. That was awesome, to see a sensitive side of Putin.
— TTDINK50 (@ttdink50) October 11, 2017
Other people were worried about the puppy’s safety.
Narrator: He ate the puppy https://t.co/2aDKpf7kZ0
— Comfortably Smug (@ComfortablySmug) October 11, 2017
The whole scene was an easy set-up for jokes about the relationship between Putin and President Donald Trump.
What a wasteful gift. Putin actually doesn't need another puppy. He already has a lap dog. It's called Donald Trump
— Brandon Horan (@brandon_r_horan) October 11, 2017
Wonder why Putin got another puppy, he already has a lapdog named Donald. https://t.co/hcfrrFyRmc
— Emily Brandwin (@CIAspygirl) October 11, 2017
— Misha Collins (@mishacollins) October 11, 2017
Verny is an albai pup by the way, a shepherd dog native to Turkmenistan.
Tiffany Kelly is the Unclick editor at Daily Dot. Previously, she worked at Ars Technica and Wired. Her writing has appeared in several other print and online publications, including the Los Angeles Times, Popular Mechanics, and GQ.