- We have a lot of questions about this woman’s Hot Cheetos bath 7 Years Ago
- Convincing deepfake drops Neo from ‘The Matrix’ straight into ‘Office Space’ 7 Years Ago
- Kent State gun girl calls for armed insurrection after being booed off campus Today 10:27 AM
- James Charles and Tfue took an intimate photo—and the internet is in love Today 10:07 AM
- Ring finally makes two-factor authentication mandatory after series of hacks Today 9:39 AM
- The 2020 guide to live TV streaming for cord cutters Today 8:29 AM
- Popular dating app Growlr just suspended its users Today 8:23 AM
- Apple warns coronavirus expected to cause iPhone ‘supply shortages’ Monday 7:59 PM
- Will ‘The Bachelor’ end without an engagement? Monday 7:44 PM
- This ‘Little Women’ scene just became a meme Monday 7:03 PM
- Playable version of Blizzard’s ‘StarCraft: Ghost’ leaks online nearly 15 years after cancelation Monday 6:31 PM
- This Twitter extension can block unsolicited nudes from your inbox Monday 6:01 PM
- Jeffree Star wears cornrows after being accused of cultural appropriation Monday 4:49 PM
- Jeff Bezos says he’ll commit $10 billion to combat climate change Monday 4:18 PM
- A TikTok user went on a mission to turn his urine blue by chugging food coloring Monday 3:55 PM
The Morning GIF: Kate Middleton has said too much
Did the Duchess of Cambridge actually let slip the sex of the child she’s expecting with Prince William?
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Her Royal Highness Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, née Kate Middleton, announced her pregnancy, always a giddy occasion in the House of Windsor, late last year. The princess’s diagnosis of Hyperemesis Gravidarum necessitated a stay in a hospital and made this the unkeepable secret in the famously disciplined family. But yesterday, in full health and control of her faculties, she may have let slip the sex of the baby in an innocent chat with a well-wisher in Grimsby.
Overcome at the undeniable cuddliness of the proffered teddy bear, the princess said, “Thank you, I’ll give that to my d—” and thus history was made. Or its making was alluded to. Obliquely. And then swiftly denied.
Was it “daughter” she’d meant to say? “No, we don’t know!” was the hasty reply.
Well, we don’t know either, but smart money says she didn’t mean to say “dauphin.”
Naturally, the moment has been GIF’d. Imagine, previous royal pregnancies were marked by stuffy, congratulatory letters from heads of state and ostentatious gifts from the nouveau riches. This one is commemorated by GIFs. Why look, here’s one of the probable day of conception.
Our Teddy-centric GIF comes from the William & Catherine blog, where it has has 84 notes of congratulation. My bet: Pink wool will sell out in the knitting shops of the nation ASAP.
Photoset via William & Kate/Tumblr
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.