- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
A Louisana man was arrested on Saturday for opening a tub of ice cream and licking its contents in a store.
The 36-year-old man, Lenise Lloyd Martin III, was allegedly trying to copy the original “Blue Bell licker” for a viral challenge. He posted a video of himself licking the ice cream on Facebook, which is why he is being charged with “unlawful posting of criminal activity for notoriety and publicity.”
Police officers were responding to a complaint from witnesses in the store who allegedly saw what Martin did. Martin even showed police a receipt proving that he allegedly purchased the contaminated tub, which authorities could not find upon searching the freezer.
“We do know that he paid for a container that was identical to the one that he did lick and we could not find it on the shelf,” Commander Lonny Cavalier of the Assumption Parish Sheriff’s Office told WBRZ.
But Martin was still charged with one count of “criminal mischief for tampering with property” he had not yet purchased.
The original “Blue Bell licker,” who kicked off the challenge, is a 17-year-old from San Antonio, Texas. The teen can be seen in a now-viral video opening a tub of Tin Roof-flavored Blue Bell ice cream, licking it, and then putting it back on the store shelf for another unsuspecting customer to purchase.
Her minor status is why she is no longer facing the felony charge she was once rumored to be facing. The case is now in the hands of the Texas Juvenile Justice Department.
- Guards are now having to protect ice cream from the lickers
- Police may charge the Blue Bell ice cream licker with a felony
- People are licking ice cream and then putting it back on the shelf for this viral challenge
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.