- Hulu and George Clooney strike gold with ‘Catch-22’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to cut the cord when you’re broke Today 6:30 AM
- Jazz pianist turns Cardi B flex video, James Charles apology into viral bops Today 6:28 AM
- How to watch Netflix on Linux Today 6:00 AM
- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
- ‘Stranger Things’ season 3 trailer teases a wet, hot American summer Monday 4:02 PM
- What Daenerys’ biggest ‘Game of Thrones’ scenes have in common with Nazi propaganda Monday 3:12 PM
- Here’s what’s coming to Amazon Prime in June Monday 2:11 PM
- Where did Jon Snow go? Unpacking the ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 2:04 PM
- So, did anyone actually win ‘Game of Thrones’? Monday 1:29 PM
Meet Kara Dudley, the girl who photobombed Taylor Swift’s BFF Karlie Kloss
No, Kara Dudley didn’t assume the cameras were for her. She was engaged in a far more noble pursuit: stalking Taylor Swift.
If you are the type of the person who runs errands clad in mismatched sweatpants and old sorority formal T-shirts, bad news: A girl you’ve never heard of just ruined that for you.
In an act of preparedness that would make even boy scouts weep, 22-year-old New Yorker Kara Dudley mugged for a gaggle of paparazzi while shopping in SoHo yesterday. The only problem? They were actually trying to get a shot of Taylor Swift’s BFF, Victoria’s Secret model Karlie Kloss, who was exiting the store behind her.
— Mirror Celeb (@MirrorCeleb) July 22, 2014
— Cosmopolitan UK (@CosmopolitanUK) July 23, 2014
After Good Morning America reported on Karlie Kloss and the then-unknown girl who thought the paparazzi wanted a photo of her, we knew we had to track down this mystery woman with the balls of brass to find out not only what actually happened, but also how Dudley manages to lives in a post–Taylor Swift world without knowing who Kloss is, and how she took such a great solo photo without any advance notice. (Some of us still take upward of 36 photos before giving up entirely.)
To set the record straight: No matter what GMA tries to tell you, Dudley didn’t assume the cameras were for her. Instead, she was engaged in a far more noble pursuit: stalking Taylor Swift.
Dudley saw the paparazzi, heard Swift was inside and ducked in to try to catch a glimpse of her—not realizing that the other blonde in the store was Kloss. When Swift left, Dudley left shortly after, and when the flashbulbs started going off, she did what any actress does best: She posed for the camera.
According to Dudley, “I didn’t even know [Karlie] was there until I saw the pictures the next day. I just thought it was cool that I saw Taylor Swift, so I went home and told all my friends about it. Little did I know there was actually a whole other story going on behind me. The next day a friend texted me a photo of myself photobombing Karlie Kloss. I was just dying of laughter for the rest of the day.”
And thus proves the No. 1 thing I have known to be true: If it wasn’t for Taylor Swift, no one would know who Karlie Kloss is.
Here’s Dudley’s own account:
Photo via SplashNews
Beejoli Shah is a reporter and editor whose work focuses on entertainment, internet culture, and social justice. Her work has been published in Rolling Stone, Cosmopolitan, Fusion, New York Magazine, the Guardian, and BuzzFeed, among others.