- YouTuber allegedly filmed himself abusing and killing his cat Sunday 5:49 PM
- Would you buy a Popeyes chicken sandwich from Quavo for $1,000? Sunday 3:05 PM
- Someone set up a Spider-Man memorial outside D23 Expo Sunday 2:15 PM
- A$AP Rocky just isn’t texting Trump back Sunday 1:24 PM
- Hong Kong protesters knock down alleged ‘facial recognition tower’ Sunday 12:35 PM
- PewDiePie becomes the first YouTuber to hit 100 million subscribers Sunday 11:35 AM
- ‘Breaking Bad’ movie will show us what happened to Jesse Pinkman Sunday 9:39 AM
- How to stream ROH Wrestling’s Honor For All Sunday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Titans in NFL preseason action Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Good Eats: The Return’ online Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6 Sunday 6:00 AM
- Your best bets for finding discounted and refurbished Airpods Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
New Jersey-based restaurant chain Villa Italian Kitchen has revealed to the world its magnum opus: the gender-reveal lasagna.
In an era where gender-reveal celebrations have reached the elaborate heights of involving live alligators, the shooting of explosives, and even the possibility of causing $8 million in damages to a national forest, Villa Italian Kitchen has chosen to provide expecting couples a somewhat tamer option.
For $139.99, you and your loved ones can celebrate the assigned gender identity of your new bundle of joy with either blue or pink food-colored cheese nestled between a medley of pasta and meat which serves 12. The package also comes with a tray of garlic rolls and a Greek, Caesar, or garden salad of your choice.
Some on social media are welcoming this lean into the absurd.
Possibly the best subject line in an email ever:— Ellie Holmes (@ellierosetx) January 22, 2019
"Gender Reveal Lasagna?! – Villa Italian Kitchen Invites Guests to Celebrate their Bundles of Joy with Boatloads of Cheese!"
It’s early, but this pitch for gender reveal lasagna is a clear frontrunner for best of 2019. Step it up, people pic.twitter.com/y58gv9T7tP— Allison Steele (@AESteele) January 22, 2019
Others refuse to acknowledge the reality of the gender-reveal lasagna and what it means for the trajectory of our society.
*Gets email*— Jake🦖 (@JHGallant) January 22, 2019
"Villa Italian Kitchen is proud to announce the addition of an exciting new catering package: the world’s first-ever Gender Reveal Lasagna!"
with hand upon the bare ground, I lay my curse upon every gender reveal lasagna, cake, cookie, mochi, steak, and other foodstuff, that it will always taste like sour, lukewarm frosting and have the texture of wet cement.— Jared Pechacek (@vandroidhelsing) January 22, 2019
The restaurant is no stranger to unconventional online antics and cheap marketing gimmicks. In May, Villa Italian Kitchen offered Michael Rotondo, a then 30-year-old who captured national attention by being ordered by a judge to vacate his parents’ home, a job at any of their nearly 250 worldwide locations as well as a $1,101 signing bonus.
Ignacio Martinez is a journalism student at the University of Texas at Austin and an intern at the Daily Dot. His work has appeared in the Texas Observer and on the airwaves at KVRX 91.7 FM.