- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Saturday 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Saturday 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
New Jersey-based restaurant chain Villa Italian Kitchen has revealed to the world its magnum opus: the gender-reveal lasagna.
In an era where gender-reveal celebrations have reached the elaborate heights of involving live alligators, the shooting of explosives, and even the possibility of causing $8 million in damages to a national forest, Villa Italian Kitchen has chosen to provide expecting couples a somewhat tamer option.
For $139.99, you and your loved ones can celebrate the assigned gender identity of your new bundle of joy with either blue or pink food-colored cheese nestled between a medley of pasta and meat which serves 12. The package also comes with a tray of garlic rolls and a Greek, Caesar, or garden salad of your choice.
Some on social media are welcoming this lean into the absurd.
Possibly the best subject line in an email ever:
"Gender Reveal Lasagna?! – Villa Italian Kitchen Invites Guests to Celebrate their Bundles of Joy with Boatloads of Cheese!"
— Ellie Holmes (@ellierosetx) January 22, 2019
It’s early, but this pitch for gender reveal lasagna is a clear frontrunner for best of 2019. Step it up, people pic.twitter.com/y58gv9T7tP
— Allison Steele (@AESteele) January 22, 2019
Others refuse to acknowledge the reality of the gender-reveal lasagna and what it means for the trajectory of our society.
"Villa Italian Kitchen is proud to announce the addition of an exciting new catering package: the world’s first-ever Gender Reveal Lasagna!"
— Jake🐻 (@JakeGallant14) January 22, 2019
with hand upon the bare ground, I lay my curse upon every gender reveal lasagna, cake, cookie, mochi, steak, and other foodstuff, that it will always taste like sour, lukewarm frosting and have the texture of wet cement.
— Jared Pechacek (@vandroidhelsing) January 22, 2019
The restaurant is no stranger to unconventional online antics and cheap marketing gimmicks. In May, Villa Italian Kitchen offered Michael Rotondo, a then 30-year-old who captured national attention by being ordered by a judge to vacate his parents’ home, a job at any of their nearly 250 worldwide locations as well as a $1,101 signing bonus.