- This woman told two students to ‘speak English’ and people are not having it Friday 9:53 PM
- Iconic 1968 drag documentary ‘The Queen’ finally released on Netflix Friday 9:29 PM
- This TikTok account for Chancellor Palpatine is hilarious Friday 8:43 PM
- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
Elon Musk and Grimes might be expecting a baby.
People all over the web are talking about an Instagram update from Grimes in which she indicated she was “knocked up.” Neither Grimes or Musk—her boyfriend and presumably the father—have confirmed the news, but that isn’t stopping most of the internet from pouncing on the story. As rumors spread, so did the memes. Social media was quickly flooded late Wednesday with memes of what Musk and Grimes’ potential child might look like.
Grimes is pregnant and although that child will be very rich I can’t help but feel very worried for its future.. she’s gonna sacrifice it in some weird AI blood ritual pic.twitter.com/UALkKu2RiQ— 🦷 (@imsamcook) January 8, 2020
The original Instagram post from Grimes—whose real name is Claire Elise Boucher—was quickly removed, presumably for violating its nudity policy, but the post was shared by several fans of the 31-year-old musician. In it, a topless Grimes with what appears to be a baby bump smolders at the camera. The shadow of a digitally altered fetus can be seen on her stomach.
While fans had plenty of theories about the image, Grimes appeared to remove all doubt in her response to a commenter. After one person noted her uncensored nipples, Grimes noted that she considered censoring them but decided otherwise. “I thought about censoring them for a hot minute,” she wrote. “But the photo is so much less feral without the nipples. Plus being knocked up is a very feral & war-like state of being. Might as well be what it is.”
That’s when the memes hit social.
The majority of the memes centered around what the child will look like. They seem to agree on one thing: That baby is going to be an oddball, just like its parents.
Grimes and Elon's baby after coming home from the hospital pic.twitter.com/ZkXNLjxiph— Jon (@prasejeebus) January 9, 2020
Grimes & Elon Musk Baby 😍❤️ pic.twitter.com/hzlHA0Zd3X— 𝙆𝙊𝙍𝙀𝘼𝙉𝙇𝘼𝘽𝙎. (@KoreanLabs) January 9, 2020
the doctor delivering grimes baby pic.twitter.com/To4MJ7A2aR— ƈ ͡ (ुŏ̥̥̥̥ ‸ ŏ̥̥̥̥) ु (@furbclit) January 9, 2020
Grimes and Elon’s baby after asking for a snack pic.twitter.com/zEh4NchIVD— Win Edwards 🍒 (@WinEdwards) January 9, 2020
While most meme creators were busy obsessing over the baby’s appearance, other people poked fun at Grimes’ unique musical style, as well as she and Musk’s odd public personas: Musk makes brash predictions about the future while smoking weed on podcasts, and Grimes writes critically acclaimed indie rock that she brings to life with eye-catching performance art. Jokes about the baby’s name, first words, and fashion quickly followed.
grimes baby first words pic.twitter.com/s0mbnxJzXV— latrell (@gunshawt) January 9, 2020
grimes and her child having an argument pic.twitter.com/HBhrH2b1K6— rowan (@rowancogley) January 8, 2020
elon musk: what do u wanna name our baby (:— sam (@liImatty) January 8, 2020
grimes when she finds out you can’t name a baby the combination of ancient runes and emojispic.twitter.com/Xt28OhSK0J— 🅴🅳 🦆🦆🦆(official duck fan page wait also DUNE) (@crackheadgar) January 9, 2020
grimes baby stroller pic.twitter.com/nUPIUDMeX7— lexi (@vampiremoonlite) January 9, 2020
elon musk: what do u wanna name our baby (:— The Goat Of Mendes )))))) (@xulvercrustx) January 9, 2020
The slightly creepy vibe of Grimes’ announcement also became a talking point and inspired a wave of demonic baby memes.
grimes baby monitor at 3:15 AM: pic.twitter.com/uYbkppWj5d— troy (@boy___troy) January 8, 2020
Grimes baby during a sonogram checkup manipulating the nurses minds pic.twitter.com/jSdrpGbs61— mega milotic (@grodriguezlg) January 9, 2020
Grimes and Elon going to check in on their baby when they hear it cry pic.twitter.com/YSrRQxELHF— edgar (@ivorycricket) January 9, 2020
This gon be grimes and elon musks baby pic.twitter.com/lBwxa9f9Iz— caleb (@louboutintwink) January 9, 2020
One user pointed out that many of the memes seemed harsh, considering the target was, for the most part, an unborn child. “Grimes’s baby is getting cyber bullied n it hasn’t even left the womb yet,” they wrote.
grimes’s baby is getting cyber bullied n it hasn’t even left the womb yet . sort of inspiring— hamood habibi (@mothsore) January 9, 2020
Buckle up, people: If Grimes really is pregnant, the memes are unlikely to stop anytime soon.
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.