- How to watch Barcelona vs. Leganes online for free Today 1:00 AM
- Daily Stormer founder to turn over personal, financial information in lawsuit Saturday 8:51 PM
- Ariana Grande’s ‘7 Rings’ courts controversy Saturday 6:19 PM
- Crowd of MAGA teens attempts to intimidate Native American protester Saturday 4:13 PM
- ‘Generously buttered noodles’ is the bizarre, wholesome meme you didn’t know you needed Saturday 2:07 PM
- All of Machinima’s YouTube videos are gone, stunning creators and fans (updated) Saturday 1:14 PM
- Photo of federal workers conjures Great Depression Saturday 12:24 PM
- How to watch Pacquiao vs. Broner online Saturday 9:00 AM
- What does IMO mean? Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Trigger Warning with Killer Mike’ digs into America’s wounds with a wink and a black flag Saturday 7:00 AM
- 12 must-see music documentaries on Netflix Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch Tigres vs. Cruz Azul online for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Arsenal vs. Chelsea online for free Saturday 5:21 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. RB Leipzig online for free Saturday 5:07 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Sevilla online for free Saturday 4:48 AM
This doesn’t look awkward at all.
During a high-profile trip to Saudi Arabia, the first excursion out of the U.S. of his administration, President Donald Trump touched a glowing orb of the Earth on Sunday alongside Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz, and Egyptian president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
Maybe Trump didn’t think about the optics on this one.
It’s actually a ceremonial gesture to mark the opening of the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology in the Saudi capital of Riyadh, but when reduced to a single, still image, it looked quite a bit more bizarre than that. The image sent Twitter into a full-blown meme-frenzy, with countless people slinging jokes about Trump’s dedication and devotion to “the orb.”
— jason (@Jason) May 21, 2017
"Do you think we can trick Donald Trump into touching the orb?"
"No way, he'll never touch the or- Oh my God, he's reaching for it." pic.twitter.com/GZmzWNVpbq
— Jason Gore (@sonicdork) May 21, 2017
Trump During the Campaign: "I will NEVER touch The Orb, even though its mysterious glow seduces and beguiles."
Trump Today: pic.twitter.com/eWoaDeXj8n
— Nick Greene (@NickGreene) May 21, 2017
RIYADH — President Trump announced today that the Orb is his God now, praise to Its Luminescence, O how he longs for the warmth of Ørb pic.twitter.com/lSCjHgotgW
— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) May 21, 2017
HANNITY: Trump orders everyone to kneel before the Glowing Orb, and the media loses it
GINGRICH: They fear the Orb!
HANNITY: It's pathetic
— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) May 21, 2017
Red hat guy 2016: trump is going to own the globalist cucks!
2017: Trump in shadows holding a glowing power orb with saudi royal family
— derek (@eedrk) May 21, 2017
WHAT TRUMP THINKS
• This orb will create peace
• I am the chosen one who will finally create peace
WHAT THE SAUDI KING THINKS
• No he isn't pic.twitter.com/k4J3eBKlBu
— Dumb Idiot Riley Fox (@riley_fox) May 21, 2017
Trump is also going to Sicily this week and I hope he has a glowing orb ceremony with the Mafia
— Dan O'Sullivan (RIP) (@Bro_Pair) May 21, 2017
"Elites scoff, but in the working class suburbs of Grand Rapids voters are glad Trump is practicing orb magic with Arab dictators."
— Matthew Yglesias (@mattyglesias) May 21, 2017
I hate Trump as much as anyone does, but I can't criticise his desire to hold a mysterious glowing orb
— Ahir Shah (@AhirShah) May 21, 2017
In about ten years our President will be Donald Trump and he will have his hands on a glowing orb with a bunch of Saudi Sheiks.
— Adam McKay (@GhostPanther) May 21, 2017
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of Donald Trump creepily touching a glowing orb?
— Jamie McKelvie (@McKelvie) May 21, 2017
Child: do you remember when Trump touched the Orb?
Me: Yes. None of us realized what it would-
Orb Police: HAIL ORB
Me & child: hail orb
— Gödel, Escher, Baka (@jephjacques) May 21, 2017
Needless to say, Trump’s throngs of supporters who spent the campaign bellowing “America First” and “Make America Great Again” probably never expected to see him grasping a glowing orb alongside a pair of Middle Eastern dictators, his face eerily lit from below by its mysterious, enchanting glow.
And yet, there he is, touching the orb with a strange, muted expression on his face. It just goes to show that no matter how many bridges Trump seemed to burn during his campaign?and as far as Islam is concerned, he burned a lot of them?he can still be brought into the fold by a mysterious orb seemingly brimming with arcane power.
Trump still has stops in Israel, the Vatican, Belgium, and Italy on his itinerary before he finally returns to the United States on May 28. Whether any of those countries will do the smart thing and plan their own power orb ceremonies remains to be seen.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.