- If you love long-winded, hashtag-heavy Instagram captions, these apps can help 2 Years Ago
- Teen girls on TikTok have convinced the internet that they eat their tampons Today 2:33 PM
- Twitch streamer faces criticism for trying to defend racist jokes Today 2:03 PM
- How to stream Raiders vs. Vikings in Week 3 Today 12:55 PM
- NRA calls Beto O’Rourke ‘AR-15 salesman of the month’ in wake of buyback proposal Today 12:03 PM
- After 23 deaths, Sean Bean is tired of getting killed on-screen Today 11:48 AM
- Stephen Miller has a girlfriend—and people are stunned Today 11:35 AM
- Mickey Rourke says Robert De Niro iced him out of ‘The Irishman’ Today 11:07 AM
- Conservative men are melting down over Elizabeth Warren’s speech Today 10:40 AM
- People are calling rapper Tekashi 69 a ‘snitch’ for outing gang members Today 10:16 AM
- Greta Thunberg tells Congress to ‘listen to the scientists’ about climate crisis Today 9:55 AM
- Maybe we should start taking Tom DeLonge seriously about UFOs Today 9:11 AM
- Get ready to argue about the alternate-history politics of HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:53 AM
- Third instance of Justin Trudeau wearing racist makeup emerges after he apologized for first 2 Today 8:45 AM
- 6 must-watch college football games to stream this weekend Today 8:12 AM
During a high-profile trip to Saudi Arabia, the first excursion out of the U.S. of his administration, President Donald Trump touched a glowing orb of the Earth on Sunday alongside Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz, and Egyptian president Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
Maybe Trump didn’t think about the optics on this one.
It’s actually a ceremonial gesture to mark the opening of the Global Center for Combating Extremist Ideology in the Saudi capital of Riyadh, but when reduced to a single, still image, it looked quite a bit more bizarre than that. The image sent Twitter into a full-blown meme-frenzy, with countless people slinging jokes about Trump’s dedication and devotion to “the orb.”
"Do you think we can trick Donald Trump into touching the orb?"— Jason Gore (@sonicdork) May 21, 2017
"No way, he'll never touch the or- Oh my God, he's reaching for it." pic.twitter.com/GZmzWNVpbq
Trump During the Campaign: "I will NEVER touch The Orb, even though its mysterious glow seduces and beguiles."— Nick Greene (@NickGreene) May 21, 2017
Trump Today: pic.twitter.com/eWoaDeXj8n
RIYADH — President Trump announced today that the Orb is his God now, praise to Its Luminescence, O how he longs for the warmth of Ørb pic.twitter.com/lSCjHgotgW— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) May 21, 2017
HANNITY: Trump orders everyone to kneel before the Glowing Orb, and the media loses it— Jason O. Gilbert (@gilbertjasono) May 21, 2017
GINGRICH: They fear the Orb!
HANNITY: It's pathetic
Red hat guy 2016: trump is going to own the globalist cucks!— derek (@eedrk) May 21, 2017
2017: Trump in shadows holding a glowing power orb with saudi royal family
WHAT TRUMP THINKS— Dumb Idiot Riley Fox (@riley_fox) May 21, 2017
• This orb will create peace
• I am the chosen one who will finally create peace
WHAT THE SAUDI KING THINKS
• No he isn't pic.twitter.com/k4J3eBKlBu
Trump is also going to Sicily this week and I hope he has a glowing orb ceremony with the Mafia— Dan O'Sullivan (RIP) (@Bro_Pair) May 21, 2017
"Elites scoff, but in the working class suburbs of Grand Rapids voters are glad Trump is practicing orb magic with Arab dictators."— Matthew Yglesias (@mattyglesias) May 21, 2017
I hate Trump as much as anyone does, but I can't criticise his desire to hold a mysterious glowing orb— Ahir Shah (@AhirShah) May 21, 2017
5/15/2008— Adam McKay (@GhostPanther) May 21, 2017
In about ten years our President will be Donald Trump and he will have his hands on a glowing orb with a bunch of Saudi Sheiks.
Does anyone know where I can find a picture of Donald Trump creepily touching a glowing orb?— Jamie McKelvie (@McKelvie) May 21, 2017
Child: do you remember when Trump touched the Orb?— Gödel, Escher, Baka (@jephjacques) May 21, 2017
Me: Yes. None of us realized what it would-
Orb Police: HAIL ORB
Me & child: hail orb
Needless to say, Trump’s throngs of supporters who spent the campaign bellowing “America First” and “Make America Great Again” probably never expected to see him grasping a glowing orb alongside a pair of Middle Eastern dictators, his face eerily lit from below by its mysterious, enchanting glow.
And yet, there he is, touching the orb with a strange, muted expression on his face. It just goes to show that no matter how many bridges Trump seemed to burn during his campaign?and as far as Islam is concerned, he burned a lot of them?he can still be brought into the fold by a mysterious orb seemingly brimming with arcane power.
Trump still has stops in Israel, the Vatican, Belgium, and Italy on his itinerary before he finally returns to the United States on May 28. Whether any of those countries will do the smart thing and plan their own power orb ceremonies remains to be seen.
Chris Tognotti is a frequent contributor for the Daily Dot. He’s a news and current events writer based out of Berkeley, California, and a co-host of the podcast Now We Know. While he specializes in domestic politics and opinion writing, he’s also savvy on sports, video games, and film.