- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry 2 Years Ago
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Today 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Today 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Today 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Today 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Today 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Today 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Today 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Today 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
- ‘You were at my wedding Denise’ stirs controversy again with ‘lubed legs’ tweet Friday 3:31 PM
‘Cracking open a cold one with the boys’ is the summer’s chill new meme
It’s a perfect summer meme.
Cracking open a cold one with the boys is a time-honored summer tradition, a centerpiece of American bro culture. And over the weekend, it also became a very chill new meme.
The joke is that, instead of a simple image of friends opening cold beers, you can use any visual metaphor that involves someone cracking someone or something open. You just have to label the boys, the cold one, and the cracking, as if your meme were a hackneyed editorial cartoon.
Here’s the most basic example:
But they get slightly more abstract. Some are visual puns:
Others are more metaphorical:
And still others combine the “cold one” theme with references to older memes:
The template for “a cold one with the boys” comes from a different, much more offensive meme, “respecting women.” That meme depicted characters being violent toward other characters and objects; the character was labeled “me,” the violence was “respect,” and the target of the attack was “women.”
“Respecting women” was popular on Reddit’s edgy r/dankmemes subreddit, but it never made the jump to the “normie” mainstream because it was more about sexist boundary-pushing than about being actually funny.
But the “cold one” meme is safer and more broadly appealing, and it’s already being seen on Facebook, Instagram, and even iFunny, one of the major websites that recycles Reddit’s meme content for mainstream consumption. Dozens of posts on Reddit’s meme economy subreddit, where traders “buy” and “sell” memes, speculating on their value and potential for longevity, dozens of posts describe “a cold one with the boys” as a hot, short-term commodity.
Get in on it now for some summer fun, but don’t expect it to last long.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.