- TLC accused of fatphobia, fetishization with show about ‘mixed-weight’ couples 3 Years Ago
- Betting odds show KSI could fight FaZe Sensei, Jake Paul, or Justin Bieber next 3 Years Ago
- Nick Cannon releases another thirsty Eminem diss track Today 2:59 PM
- Dogs at polling stations are helping bark out the vote in the U.K. Today 1:00 PM
- Streamers dominated Pornhub searches in 2019 Today 12:59 PM
- Pro and anti-boot factions emerge in wake of ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ trailer Today 12:31 PM
- The ‘Rise of Skywalker’ press tour has turned into a rehash of ‘The Last Jedi’ Today 12:18 PM
- What’s in a TikTok username? Today 12:00 PM
- All four of 2020’s Marvel/DC movies are directed by women Today 11:57 AM
- Jeremy Corbyn Rickrolls everyone ahead of British election Today 10:18 AM
- Trisha Paytas denies accidentally exposing herself on TikTok Today 10:04 AM
- Report: Barr wants tech antitrust probe wrapped up in 2020 Today 9:59 AM
- ‘Zybourne Clock’ original art is selling for over $4,000 on eBay Today 9:11 AM
- What is TikTok famous club, and can you trust it? Today 9:03 AM
- ‘John Wick 4’ and ‘The Matrix 4,’ both starring Keanu Reeves, will come out on the same day Today 8:54 AM
In 2014, much ado was made of a video which purported to show a mountain biker being chased by a grizzly bear. Although the video seemed terrifying at first, it was quickly called out as fake by the YouTube community, a claim that has since be verified by Snopes.
A similar video of a woman being chased while snowboarding has also been called into question. While the jury is still out on that one, the general consensus seems to be that it is also fake.
Still, animals do sometimes chase bikers. Such as these guys in South Africa who have a run in, or more accurately a run with, an ostrich, or these fellas in Alberta, Canada, who actually did have an encounter with a bear.
This latest GoPro video is one of the most terrifying yet. Not only does it appear to be totally real, but the bear is clearly unhappy with the bikers and gets way to close for comfort.
The cyclist filming quickly shouts to his friend to stop, which some YouTube commenters took issue with, but it’s possible the clever bear was going to cut them off as they made a turn.
We don’t get to see the conclusion of this tale, but it seems like the men must have made it home okay. Unless it was the bear that uploaded the footage to YouTube?
Check out the full video below.
David Britton is a writer and comedian based in Rhinebeck, New York who focuses on internet culture, memes, and viral news stories. He also writes for the Hard Times and is the creator of StoriesAboutWizards.com.