- How to stream Leo Santa Cruz vs. Rafael Rivera for free 10 Months Ago
- ‘Larry Charles’ Dangerous World of Comedy’ finds the balance between tragedy and comedy 10 Months Ago
- How to stream Michael ‘Venom’ Page vs. Paul Daley for free Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the NBA Dunk Contest 2019 online for free Today 6:50 AM
- The best new TV shows to stream this weekend Today 6:00 AM
- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Friday 12:20 PM
Guillaume Paumier/Wikimedia (CC-BY)
We usually ignore actors when they talk about their dream superhero movie roles, because “wanting” isn’t the same as actually getting cast. But when Nicolas Cage says he wants to play the Joker, you pay attention. This casting idea is so perfect, we can’t believe it doesn’t come up more often.
Nic Cage has a long history with superhero movies, almost playing the title role in Tim Burton’s Superman movie, and later starring in the Ghost Rider franchise. He also has a Batman-adjacent performance in Kick-Ass. In a new interview with JoBlo, Cage said that while he’s moved on from comic book movies, “I always thought I’d make a great Joker.”
“It would be the perfect one for me to go even more off the rails than I’ve ever done before and, y’know, it’d be fun.”
Honestly, that’s a terrifying concept. What would an “even more off the rails” Nic Cage performance even look like? We’ve seen him scream at bees The Wicker Man. We’ve seen him swap faces with John Travolta. Hell, in Vampire’s Kiss he literally ate a live cockroach on camera. The Joker would be a walk in the park for this guy.
Warner Bros. has several Joker movies in the works, including a Harley/Joker spinoff with Jared Leto and a gritty 1980s-era origin story produced by Martin Scorsese. Joaquin Phoenix is in talks for the latter but hasn’t officially been confirmed yet. So there’s still time for Phoenix to realize how much he’ll hate going on a months-long superhero movie publicity tour and step aside so Nic Cage can replace him. Hey, we can dream.
H/T to Comic Book Resources
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested.