- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
We usually ignore actors when they talk about their dream superhero movie roles, because “wanting” isn’t the same as actually getting cast. But when Nicolas Cage says he wants to play the Joker, you pay attention. This casting idea is so perfect, we can’t believe it doesn’t come up more often.
Nic Cage has a long history with superhero movies, almost playing the title role in Tim Burton’s Superman movie, and later starring in the Ghost Rider franchise. He also has a Batman-adjacent performance in Kick-Ass. In a new interview with JoBlo, Cage said that while he’s moved on from comic book movies, “I always thought I’d make a great Joker.”
“It would be the perfect one for me to go even more off the rails than I’ve ever done before and, y’know, it’d be fun.”
Honestly, that’s a terrifying concept. What would an “even more off the rails” Nic Cage performance even look like? We’ve seen him scream at bees The Wicker Man. We’ve seen him swap faces with John Travolta. Hell, in Vampire’s Kiss he literally ate a live cockroach on camera. The Joker would be a walk in the park for this guy.
Warner Bros. has several Joker movies in the works, including a Harley/Joker spinoff with Jared Leto and a gritty 1980s-era origin story produced by Martin Scorsese. Joaquin Phoenix is in talks for the latter but hasn’t officially been confirmed yet. So there’s still time for Phoenix to realize how much he’ll hate going on a months-long superhero movie publicity tour and step aside so Nic Cage can replace him. Hey, we can dream.
H/T to Comic Book Resources
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor