- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
- Influencer faces wrath of K-pop fans after her son played with penis-shaped soap Thursday 1:27 PM
Age of Samurai is described as a docu-drama, co-produced by Smithsonian Canada. So while we can expect plenty of battles and backstabbings, it will also be educational and historically accurate.
One of the lead characters will be Date Masamune, a warlord nicknamed “the One-Eyed Dragon” because he supposedly plucked out his own eye to combat a smallpox infection. By 17 he was in charge of his family’s clan, and he is an iconic figure from Japanese history, inspiring numerous fictionalized depictions including a TV series starring Ken Watanabe. As Deadline‘s announcement points out, his samurai helmet is thought to have influenced the design of Darth Vader.
While Western audiences are familiar with the concept of samurai, most have minimal knowledge of the real historical figures. It sounds like Age of Samurai will correct some misconceptions while also featuring epic drama and action scenes. Filming in Japan, Canada and the U.S., the show will arrive on Netflix later this year.
H/T to Deadline
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor