- Jared Leto reportedly tried to stop ‘Joker’ from happening Sunday 4:12 PM
- People are grossed out by cow insemination-themed pregnancy announcement Sunday 3:13 PM
- Major protests in Lebanon triggered by plan to tax WhatsApp calls Sunday 1:38 PM
- Frank Ocean’s $60 HIV prevention drug-themed shirts called tone-deaf Sunday 12:49 PM
- ‘Joker’ stairs latest Instagram spot; locals joke about potential robberies Sunday 10:30 AM
- PewDiePie banned in China after reacting to Winnie the Pooh memes Sunday 8:46 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Eagles on Sunday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream Chargers vs. Titans in Week 7 Sunday 6:00 AM
- 13 spooky romance games for adults Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 9 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Impact Wrestling’s Bound For Glory Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Bills vs. Dolphins in Week 7 Sunday 4:30 AM
- How to stream Jaguars vs. Bengals in Week 7 Sunday 4:00 AM
- How to stream Texans vs. Colts in Week 7 Sunday 3:00 AM
- How to stream Manchester United vs. Liverpool Saturday 10:00 PM
The trailer opens with Thor crash-landing onto Peter Quill’s Milano ship, where the Guardians of the Galaxy—now joined by Mantis—wake him from a coma. Surprisingly for an Avengers film, the trailer includes a lot of screentime for the Guardians team, probably due to their connection with the supervillain Thanos.
We see some shots of the Avengers on Earth, along with Loki holding the Cosmic Cubet—the Infinity Gem from Captain America: The First Avenger. Then Peter Parker shows up on a bus for a brief moment of normalcy, before the trailer unleashes epic sci-fi destruction and a team-up between Peter, Tony Stark, and the Guardians.
We see some brief cameos from Black Panther, the Winter Soldier and others, although the most surprising new character is Captain America’s beard. That’s right, Marvel finally stopped making Chris Evans shave and dye his hair blond. Presumably this new look fits in with Steve Rogers’ post-Civil War role as an outlaw.
If you’re the kind of fan who follows Marvel movies for character arcs and relationships, you won’t get much out of this trailer. But if you’re invested in explosive action scenes and the Guardians of the Galaxy, it’s pretty exciting.
The trailer is still available on YouTube for now, but given Marvel’s intense response to previous leaks, it probably won’t be around for long.
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor