- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
No fair, Google, cry Twitter and others
Twitter says Google’s Search Plus Your World tool will keep people from seeing Twitter results. Others are also crying foul.
Boxers Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao may have launched the biggest beef on Twitter today, but the microblogging site’s brass was busy sparring in another ring. They were taking a stance against Google and the newly launched Search Plus Your World.
Tuesday’s tweak on the world’s most popular search engine will bury the live feed of relevant tweets below search results tied to activity in users’ Google+ circles. Twitter believes that shift goes against the very democracy and white hat practices that Google preaches.
“Twitter has emerged as a vital source of this real-time information, with more than 100 million users sending 250 million Tweets every day on virtually every topic,” Twitter announced today in a statement. “As we’ve seen time and time again, news breaks first on Twitter; as a result, Twitter accounts and Tweets are often the most relevant results.”
Within communities like Twitter and Reddit, there’s a similar sense that Search Your World Plus shows how Google has lost sight of what it’s powerful search engine is all about.
“Not sure this is an improvement,” posted Reddit user blisk. “honestly I think over time you’ll end up with more bullshit you have to sort through.”
“Sorry but from what i have seen about this so far it just comes across as creepy,” added user anillop. “Using my location to come up with customized results is fine but this just seems very invasive. It honestly makes me reconsider having signed up for google+.”
Privacy invasion is one thing, but Twitter user Paige Maguire (@fluxistrad) might have summed up the negative feelings best in her 5pm ET tweet, writing: “Ugh, because I’m probably Googling to ESCAPE my world.”
Photo by birgerking
Correction: An earlier version of this story referred to Google’s new search tool as “Search Your World Plus.” It is “Search Plus Your World.”
Chase Hoffberger reported on YouTube, web culture, and crime for the Daily Dot until 2013, when he joined the Austin Chronicle. Until late 2018, he served as that paper’s news editor and reported on criminal justice and politics.