- Matt Gaetz hires speechwriter fired by White House for attending white nationalist event 1 Week Ago
- Here’s why Elon Musk is a sheep on Twitter Today 12:14 PM
- Trump is already running Facebook ads on the Mueller report Today 12:07 PM
- 20 thoughtful gifts grads actually want Today 12:00 PM
- 7 of the best psychological thriller movies on Shudder Today 11:44 AM
- Seth Abramson’s epic Mueller thread finally comes to a conclusion Today 11:40 AM
- Netflix is testing out a random play feature Today 11:28 AM
- Teen star Danielle Cohn faked pregnancy for YouTube prank Today 10:55 AM
- How to watch ‘A Discovery of Witches’ for free Today 10:42 AM
- Rev up your own family rivalries with these ‘Game of Thrones’ board games Today 10:29 AM
- Mueller’s ‘harm to ongoing matter’ is the best way to stay silent about your life Today 10:21 AM
- 10 Korean skincare brands that are worth your money Today 10:00 AM
- 20 unique Mother’s Day gifts for the cool moms Today 9:45 AM
- Ancestry.com ad tries to sell slavery as romance—not rape Today 9:44 AM
- The 9 best Satanic movies on Shudder Today 9:22 AM
Gage Skidmore/Flickr (CC-BY-SA)
While President Donald Trump has had a host of accusations lobbed at him that both he and his supporters would deny, at his core is one ineffable truth everyone can agree on: He is a shitposter.
He loves to stir the pot on the internet, in other words. It what his fans love and his opponents hate.
And today he might have done his biggest one ever, tweeting a White House decree on National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day.
On National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day, we honor the Americans captured and imprisoned by foreign powers while carrying out their duties to defend this great Nation…https://t.co/dEVfRo5uy7
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 9, 2019
“On National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day, we honor the Americans captured and imprisoned by foreign powers while carrying out their duties to defend this great Nation..” he wrote, with a link to the official White House declaration.
Normally, that would be considered a standard presidential posting. But Trump has spent years feuding with a former POW, insulting him for being captured, and not leaving him alone, even after he was dead.
It was something Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) daughter didn’t forget.
No one believes you care about prisoners of war and “people who get captured”. https://t.co/ZkKEjI01XD
— Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) April 9, 2019
Trump said of McCain that he preferred soldiers who didn’t get captured back while he was campaigning for president. It was a spat that initially people thought Trump wouldn’t recover from.
But he did, and people didn’t take too kindly to this troll-y callback.
"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, okay? I hate to tell you."
— Donald Trump, 2015 https://t.co/nMtV84SNUU
— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) April 9, 2019
"I like people that weren't captured, ok" – D. Trump on McCain
You constantly contradict yourself due to your past erratic tirades. Just don't talk anymore. I promise it can only help you. https://t.co/8jb7QfZSkM
— Joshua Morris (@Josh_Mo_) April 9, 2019
I thought you like people who weren’t captured? 🤔
— Kristin Karnitz (@KristinKarnitz) April 9, 2019
Does this include the late Senator John McCain and all the others you crawled over to fake bone spurs and ended up captured, dead, MIA or suffering PTSD? Asking for a friend….. https://t.co/l6AUtYjSyx
— Debra Haney (@crazyme2012) April 9, 2019
Trump recently reignited his fight with McCain, who is dead, when he lamenting how he wasn’t thanked for McCain’s funeral.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]