- Pornhub takes down videos secretly filmed in a college women’s locker room 7 Months Ago
- Google Maps on iPhone now shows you speed traps 7 Months Ago
- Here’s why you’re seeing ‘rise and shine’ all over social media 7 Months Ago
- AOC grills Zuckerberg over false political ads on Facebook Today 3:27 PM
- Fox News promotes pro-faith, anti-antifa film ‘The Reliant’ Today 3:17 PM
- Cardi B to star in ‘Fast & Furious 9’ Today 3:12 PM
- AOC on opening her DMs: ‘By this morning, it was trash’ Today 2:26 PM
- The ending to Netflix’s ‘Eli’ has divided viewers Today 2:07 PM
- Teen consumes ungodly amount of meat, becomes meme Today 2:07 PM
- Edward Snowden says 9/11 could have been stopped on Joe Rogan podcast Today 1:44 PM
- TikTok releases safety videos Today 1:30 PM
- Instagram to label fake news as ‘False Information’ Today 1:28 PM
- A handy guide to deciding which VSCO filter your photo needs Today 12:35 PM
- Mom calls out teacher for painting fake bullet wound on her son’s face Today 12:04 PM
- It’s time to find the right router for your home Today 11:54 AM
While President Donald Trump has had a host of accusations lobbed at him that both he and his supporters would deny, at his core is one ineffable truth everyone can agree on: He is a shitposter.
He loves to stir the pot on the internet, in other words. It what his fans love and his opponents hate.
And today he might have done his biggest one ever, tweeting a White House decree on National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day.
On National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day, we honor the Americans captured and imprisoned by foreign powers while carrying out their duties to defend this great Nation...https://t.co/dEVfRo5uy7— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 9, 2019
“On National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day, we honor the Americans captured and imprisoned by foreign powers while carrying out their duties to defend this great Nation..” he wrote, with a link to the official White House declaration.
Normally, that would be considered a standard presidential posting. But Trump has spent years feuding with a former POW, insulting him for being captured, and not leaving him alone, even after he was dead.
It was something Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) daughter didn’t forget.
No one believes you care about prisoners of war and “people who get captured”. https://t.co/ZkKEjI01XD— Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) April 9, 2019
Trump said of McCain that he preferred soldiers who didn’t get captured back while he was campaigning for president. It was a spat that initially people thought Trump wouldn’t recover from.
But he did, and people didn’t take too kindly to this troll-y callback.
"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, okay? I hate to tell you."— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) April 9, 2019
-- Donald Trump, 2015 https://t.co/nMtV84SNUU
"I like people that weren't captured, ok" - D. Trump on McCain— Joshua Morris (@Josh_Mo_) April 9, 2019
You constantly contradict yourself due to your past erratic tirades. Just don't talk anymore. I promise it can only help you. https://t.co/8jb7QfZSkM
I thought you like people who weren’t captured? 🤔— Kristin Karnitz (@KristinKarnitz) April 9, 2019
Does this include the late Senator John McCain and all the others you crawled over to fake bone spurs and ended up captured, dead, MIA or suffering PTSD? Asking for a friend..... https://t.co/l6AUtYjSyx— Debra Haney (@crazyme2012) April 9, 2019
Trump recently reignited his fight with McCain, who is dead, when he lamenting how he wasn’t thanked for McCain’s funeral.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]