- ‘Shrill’ season 2 expands its world and point of view 10 Months Ago
- Trans/Sex: Let trans art be messy, weird, and uncomfortable Today 6:00 AM
- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
While President Donald Trump has had a host of accusations lobbed at him that both he and his supporters would deny, at his core is one ineffable truth everyone can agree on: He is a shitposter.
He loves to stir the pot on the internet, in other words. It what his fans love and his opponents hate.
And today he might have done his biggest one ever, tweeting a White House decree on National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day.
On National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day, we honor the Americans captured and imprisoned by foreign powers while carrying out their duties to defend this great Nation...https://t.co/dEVfRo5uy7— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 9, 2019
“On National Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day, we honor the Americans captured and imprisoned by foreign powers while carrying out their duties to defend this great Nation..” he wrote, with a link to the official White House declaration.
Normally, that would be considered a standard presidential posting. But Trump has spent years feuding with a former POW, insulting him for being captured, and not leaving him alone, even after he was dead.
It was something Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) daughter didn’t forget.
No one believes you care about prisoners of war and “people who get captured”. https://t.co/ZkKEjI01XD— Meghan McCain (@MeghanMcCain) April 9, 2019
Trump said of McCain that he preferred soldiers who didn’t get captured back while he was campaigning for president. It was a spat that initially people thought Trump wouldn’t recover from.
But he did, and people didn’t take too kindly to this troll-y callback.
"He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, okay? I hate to tell you."— Jake Tapper (@jaketapper) April 9, 2019
-- Donald Trump, 2015 https://t.co/nMtV84SNUU
"I like people that weren't captured, ok" - D. Trump on McCain— Joshua Morris (@Josh_Mo_) April 9, 2019
You constantly contradict yourself due to your past erratic tirades. Just don't talk anymore. I promise it can only help you. https://t.co/8jb7QfZSkM
I thought you like people who weren’t captured? 🤔— Kristin Karnitz (@KristinKarnitz) April 9, 2019
Does this include the late Senator John McCain and all the others you crawled over to fake bone spurs and ended up captured, dead, MIA or suffering PTSD? Asking for a friend..... https://t.co/l6AUtYjSyx— Debra Haney (@crazyme2012) April 9, 2019
Trump recently reignited his fight with McCain, who is dead, when he lamenting how he wasn’t thanked for McCain’s funeral.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]