- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed 7 Months Ago
- Stephen A. Smith is baby 7 Months Ago
- Tfue releases statement on FaZe Clan lawsuit, says his contract is ‘f*cked’ 7 Months Ago
- People are using an app to out gropers on Japan’s subway Today 11:24 AM
- Trump misspelled ‘accomplishments’ on handwritten notes, photo shows Today 11:12 AM
- HUD proposal would allow homeless shelters to refuse trans people Today 10:44 AM
- Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ remake isn’t terrible Today 10:11 AM
- Police under investigation after running over 1-year-old child Today 9:16 AM
- Who is Jannah, the breakout star of ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’? Today 9:10 AM
- Trump revives his ‘dumb as a rock’ insult for Rex Tillerson Today 9:03 AM
- Forget Hot Jafar. All hail Fat Ursula Today 8:14 AM
- How to watch ‘The Affair’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Olivia Wilde’s ‘Booksmart’ is a teen comedy that will actually age well Today 7:45 AM
- Conservative rising star Kyle Kashuv busted using the N-word a whole bunch Today 7:14 AM
- How to watch ‘The Name of the Rose’ for free Today 7:00 AM
It’s the second violent incident they’re been involved in this weekend
Patriot Prayer, an Oregon-based group, was holding a rally in downtown Portland yesterday; after several hours of clashes, video footage shows, an antifa protester sprays one of the far-right group members with pepper spray, setting off further violence.
The incident appears to have taken place outside Kelly’s Olympian bar and follows similar violence at the hands of Proud Boys on Friday night in New York City. According to Twitter user @itsmikebivins, the violence in Portland was “way worse” than the violence in New York.
“Right-wingers were clubbing people with clubs,” @itsmikebivins continued. Portland police confirmed that the incident was part of violence that occurred between the groups throughout the day, and involved “hard-knuckled gloves, firearms, batons and knives.”
Huge brawl just happened and police came in to firenless lethal rounds on people. Right-wingers were clubbing people w clubs outside of Kelly’s Olympian, way worse than NYC last night. proud Boys and Patriot prayer and Antifa just had a huge wild fight pic.twitter.com/a750y2ai7J
— Mike “Vampire Hunter B” Bivins (@itsmikebivins) October 14, 2018
Portland PD made no arrests, unlike the NYPD, who made arrests on Friday night 1but said that their police report had no mention of “Proud Boys.”
According to BuzzFeed, the incident took place after a Fox News report criticizing a left-wing demonstration in response to the police killing of Patrick Kimmons, and Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler’s acceptance of “mob rule” in the city.
Right-wingers wearing MAGA hats and carrying American flags descended on a vigil for Kimmons, according to the Oregonian. Skirmishes between the two sides ensued.
Antifa apparently burned flags and chanted, “Go home, Nazis.” After minor altercations between the two groups, the real violence broke out later that evening at Kelly’s Olympian.
— Lashay Wesley (@LashayKATU) October 14, 2018
— Storm (@xBc26x) October 14, 2018
Portland police used less-lethal methods of breaking up the violence, including 40 mm Marking Foam Rounds.
“The Portland Police Bureau’s objectives for today’s events were to provide a safe environment for everyone, including participants, non-participants and bystanders,” Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw said in a statement from her department. “We are aware that there was a large, violent encounter between opposing groups on Southwest Washington Street.”
Outlaw encouraged anyone who had been a victim of the violence to file a police report.
Ellen Ioanes is the FOIA reporter at the Daily Dot, where she covers U.S. politics. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared in the Guardian, the Center for Public Integrity, HuffPost India, and more.