- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
Tony Alter/Flickr (CC-BY)
An old internet gag came back to life.
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) announced on Wednesday that he would not be seeking reelection this year but imagine his excitement at having already been offered a new job, as a roadie for rockers Papa Roach.
The opportunity comes just one year after the defeat of the Republican Party’s Obamacare replacement bill, when Republicans were grappling with the massive failure of their signature legislative priority.
In the wake, one internet wisecracker imagined Ryan listening to the alternative-metal band’s early-2000s hit”‘Last Resort,” which many mainstream organizations believed to be true.
ooof the kicker on this New York Times story... pic.twitter.com/YO6Wq3k5vK— Justin Halpern (@justin_halpern) March 24, 2017
So, when the Republican lawmaker confirmed he would not be running for another term in office, people were already speculating about a pairing.
I hope Papa Roach is available to play Paul Ryan's retirement party.— Alex Zalben (@azalben) April 11, 2018
Then the band promoted the vacancy to him. There is a catch, though. Thanks to Ryan’s inability to provide a solution to Obamacare, the new position doesn’t come with healthcare.
Heard Paul Ryan is looking for a new gig? We have a Roadie position open - doesn't come with Healthcare though ...— Papa Roach (@paparoach) April 11, 2018
The internet, as expected, loved it.
PAPA ROACH JUST CUT RYAN INTO PIECES https://t.co/szlBloi2iV— Courtney Enlow (@courtenlow) April 11, 2018
YA BEEN 'ROACHED, SON https://t.co/3JV0hIlBcC— Brock Wilbur (@brockwilbur) April 11, 2018
Other fans were a little pissed at the rockers’ Twitter political jab, but they reassured everyone that it was “all in good fun.”
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.