- Beto O’Rourke was ‘born’ to run for president, but what about actually governing? Today 7:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Stanley Cup for free Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My needy coworker won’t stop texting me Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hot Zone’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Witness the wholesome magic of inter-generational conversations on r/AskOldPeople Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch Paramount Network online for free Today 5:30 AM
- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
Tony Alter/Flickr (CC-BY)
An old internet gag came back to life.
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) announced on Wednesday that he would not be seeking reelection this year but imagine his excitement at having already been offered a new job, as a roadie for rockers Papa Roach.
The opportunity comes just one year after the defeat of the Republican Party’s Obamacare replacement bill, when Republicans were grappling with the massive failure of their signature legislative priority.
In the wake, one internet wisecracker imagined Ryan listening to the alternative-metal band’s early-2000s hit”‘Last Resort,” which many mainstream organizations believed to be true.
ooof the kicker on this New York Times story… pic.twitter.com/YO6Wq3k5vK
— Justin Halpern (@justin_halpern) March 24, 2017
So, when the Republican lawmaker confirmed he would not be running for another term in office, people were already speculating about a pairing.
I hope Papa Roach is available to play Paul Ryan's retirement party.
— Alex Zalben (@azalben) April 11, 2018
Then the band promoted the vacancy to him. There is a catch, though. Thanks to Ryan’s inability to provide a solution to Obamacare, the new position doesn’t come with healthcare.
Heard Paul Ryan is looking for a new gig? We have a Roadie position open – doesn't come with Healthcare though …
— Papa Roach (@paparoach) April 11, 2018
The internet, as expected, loved it.
PAPA ROACH JUST CUT RYAN INTO PIECES https://t.co/szlBloi2iV
— Courtney Enlow (@courtenlow) April 11, 2018
— Shelbie Bostedt (@ShelbieLBostedt) April 11, 2018
YA BEEN 'ROACHED, SON https://t.co/3JV0hIlBcC
— Brock Wilbur (@brockwilbur) April 11, 2018
Other fans were a little pissed at the rockers’ Twitter political jab, but they reassured everyone that it was “all in good fun.”
David Gilmour is a reporter who specializes in national politics, internet culture, and technology. He previously covered civil liberties, crime, and politics for Vice.