- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
Last week, the Wall Street Journal published a scoop on how social media sites handle far-right voices that ricochet around the web. In it was a shocking anecdote: A lobbying group, the Council on American Islamic Relationship (CAIR), personally met with Twitter to get right-wing personality Laura Loomer banned from the site.
Loomer proudly shared the news all over Instagram.
View this post on Instagram
CAIR, a designated terrorist organization that was found to be financially aiding HAMAS, another terror org that makes it their mission to kill Jews, requested that I ( a Jewish Conservative journalist) be banned from twitter because my journalism and tweets exposed Jew haters and jihadists who want to destroy America and Israel. Twitter said “sure, no problem” and banned me at the request of jihadis. #StopTheBias #NoSharia
A post shared by Laura Loomer (@loomered) on
However, according to a new report by Right Wing Watch, it may have just been a prank played on Loomer, which accidentally made its way into the Wall Street Journal.
From the Wall Street Journal:
Conservative Jewish activist Laura Loomer says she didn’t know until recently that outside groups and individuals had privately lobbied Twitter executives to remove her from the site in late November.
In an email to Ms. Loomer, Twitter said she had violated its hateful conduct policy for a tweet calling Ilhan Omar, the Muslim congresswoman from Minnesota, anti-Jewish and supportive of Shariah law.
Among the groups that had complained to Twitter was the Council on American-Islamic Relations, an advocacy organization.
Twitter’s email to Ms. Loomer didn’t mention the behind-the-scenes discussions. After her suspension, she handcuffed herself to Twitter’s New York headquarters in protest. Police cut her free from the handcuffs after two hours.
But the information that CAIR had spoken directly to Twitter about Loomer may have come from a prominent internet prankster, Nathan Bernard, according to Right Wing Watch.
After Loomer’s handcuffing stunt, Nathan Bernard and his associates, who say they seek to rile up and expose right-wing figures through a media operation they’ve dubbed “Bernard Media,” got to work devising a prank in which they would pose as a Twitter employee named Brad and seek to convince Loomer that “Brad” could help get her account reinstated. As the prank wore on and Loomer continued communicating with Bernard and his friends, they devised a plan to see how hard it would be to play off her anti-Muslim attitudes and convince her that Muslim groups were directly responsible for her suspension.
The alleged prank went so far as to include a forged calendar of Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s schedule, claiming he’d met with CAIR representatives.
Since December, Bernard and his friends exchanged hundreds of text messages with Loomer and spoke with her on the phone for nearly a half-hour, a conversation in which they offered deadpan confirmations of all conspiracy theories Loomer suggested to them about Muslim groups’ responsibility for her suspension. They even sent her a fabricated appointment calendar they said showed Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s schedule, and it included a notation for a meeting with CAIR on a date just days before Loomer’s suspension from the platform.
However, representatives with CAIR said they merely flagged Loomer’s tweets as offensive, a standard reporting practice available to anyone on the site.
Regardless, the story of CAIR and Twitter made its way up to the Wall Street Journal, which spoke with Loomer for a larger story about the way tech companies were handling a currently fraught dynamic—where action against conservative voices gets branded as “censorship” and inaction gets deemed acceptance of hate speech.
Wednesday morning on Instagram, Loomer responded to the story with a “fake news alert,” claiming Right Wing Watch hadn’t bothered to read the Wall Street Journal story, and calling RWW “sociopathic liars” who “decided to post a completely fabricated fake news story about me.”
In other words, Loomer doesn’t want to believe she was pranked.
Read all of Right Wing Watch’s report here.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]