- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
President Donald Trump lashed out today at the media for perpetuating the mystery-conspiracy narrative that his wife, Melania Trump, had disappeared.
But even her reappearance at an event for Gold Star families earlier this week didn’t quell skeptics and prompted speculation.
Body double? Even if it is her, she has not laid the rest questions about her disappearance, and whether or not she has separated from @realDonaldTrump. I think she is leaving him, but she will stick it out until he resigns, is impeached, or good forbid, the end of his term. https://t.co/bvRdL3Ou1c— Piper Michelle (@turntxblue18) June 4, 2018
President Trump has apparently had enough, firing off a series of tweets that accuse reporters of lying about seeing her to keep the narrative going.
The Fake News Media has been so unfair, and vicious, to my wife and our great First Lady, Melania. During her recovery from surgery they reported everything from near death, to facelift, to left the W.H. (and me) for N.Y. or Virginia, to abuse. All Fake, she is doing really well!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 6, 2018
...Four reporters spotted Melania in the White House last week walking merrily along to a meeting. They never reported the sighting because it would hurt the sick narrative that she was living in a different part of the world, was really ill, or whatever. Fake News is really bad!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 6, 2018
(Much like the “Where is Melania?” contingent, Trump, too, has speculated about people getting facelifts.)
And while it’s true that Melania has now made a brief appearance that should clear things up, it begs the question: The public was speculating for nearly a month that she’d gone missing. So did her husband just learn that she hadn’t been around until right now???
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]