- This Pokémon generator site is creating hilarious monsters 12 Months Ago
- MrBeast impersonator tricks kid into destroying his XBox Today 12:50 PM
- This mom has the perfect nickname for her nonbinary kid Today 12:25 PM
- Netflix tests pop-out player that will allow viewers to multitask Today 11:44 AM
- Man allowed to sue media publishers over readers’ Facebook comments Today 11:42 AM
- Republicans slammed for joke about ‘heavily armed militia’ at Oregon statehouse Today 11:30 AM
- New bill wants tech companies to tell you how much your data is worth Today 10:53 AM
- AOC has the best response to Steve King’s ‘concentration camp’ criticism Today 10:19 AM
- Did Jake Paul and Tana Mongeau just get engaged? Today 9:26 AM
- Leaked documents reveal all the ‘red flags’ about Trump officials Today 9:02 AM
- Elon Musk, who wants to colonize space, thought the moon was Mars Today 8:56 AM
- How to watch ‘Legion’ for free Today 8:46 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Bolívar’ reduces hero’s tale to irredeemable melodrama Today 8:18 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Spain at the World Cup for free Today 7:55 AM
- How to watch ‘The Hills: New Beginnings’ for free Today 7:40 AM
Brett Kavanaugh has the only conservative criteria that matters
Forget his anti-abortion stance; he has ‘owned the libs.’
Was it his narrow interpretations of Roe v. Wade, showing he might be the deciding vote to overturn the ruling that most infuriates the right? His wide reading of Heller v. D.C. that firmly entrenches the right to own semi-automatic weapons in America?
Ha ha ha hell no. This is conservatism in 2018. There is only one overarching, abiding principle, and that is “owning the libs.”
That’s right, Brett Kavanaugh is the right pick for Supreme Court because half of America dislikes what he stands for. That’s pretty much the only cogent case conservatives could make last night.
*Flash Flood Warning Tonight at 9PM EST*
Please take all necessary precautions & bring an inner tube or boogie board to ride this blue wave. 😂🇺🇸😂🇺🇸😂#maga
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) July 9, 2018
I can't stop it from overflowing! WHAT DO I DO?! pic.twitter.com/iKjU8V5Vef
— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) July 10, 2018
— Comfortably Smug (@ComfortablySmug) July 10, 2018
To answer the number one question I'm sure most of you had: yes, Kavanaugh has a history of owning the libs pic.twitter.com/Bf1YoGF26y
— Alex Griswold (@HashtagGriswold) July 10, 2018
✔️ Owning the libs https://t.co/iGS1umbGNs
— Christopher Jones (@JonesChrisA) July 10, 2018
The thing is, though, happy as they are for Kavanaugh, who is as conservative as they come, this isn’t really some profound stance. Anyone Trump nominated—save for maybe Thomas Hardiman—would have “owned the libs.”
A conservative president nominating a conservative justice isn’t an earth-shattering surprise. It’s… a thing that was expected to happen that happened.
But while conservatives relish in the libs being owned, it’s a situation they wouldn’t be able to handle in reverse.
Imagine the fits of apoplectic rage if Democrats—with majorities in both Houses—tried to push Obamacare through Congress on the overarching basis that it would piss off conservatives, as opposed to arguing that it expanded access to healthcare to thousands of American people.
Like or dislike the policy, at least it had an identity behind it that simply isn’t trying to upset the other party.
But that’s not where the vast majority of conservatives in 2018 right now are. With their obsequious devotion to Trump—whose two guiding tenets are angrily undoing anything Barack Obama did and trolling—the main driving force in conservatism right now is echoing the vitriol that comes out of their leader’s mouth.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]