- The 5 best Spike Lee movies 3 Months Ago
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ 3 Months Ago
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
Among the many claims to fame for fabled lawyer Alan Dershowitz—which include representing O.J. Simpson and getting shunned on Martha’s Vineyard for supporting President Donald Trump—was his help in representing financier Jeffrey Epstein back when he was arrested on child prostitution charges.
Dershowitz helped Epstein secure a one-year sentence in 2008, with a no-prosecution agreement going forward. Epstein is now accused of trafficking and pimping hundreds of underage girls.
Dersh himself may have been involved as well, as one of the reports from the Miami Herald that brought the Epstein case to light claimed he received massages at Epstein’s Florida mansion, among other claims. According to the Cut, Virginia Roberts Giuffre says that at 17, she was trafficked by Epstein to Dershowitz. She says they eventually had sex six times.
So, when embroiled in a pedophilia scandal, what is a man to do? Go on Twitter and argue the age of consent should be lowered to 16, or not go on Twitter and argue the age of consent should be lowered to 16?
A modern-day trolley problem, indeed.
I stand by the constitutional (not moral) argument I offered in my controversial oped: if a 16 year old has the constitutional right to have an abortion without state or parental interference, how could she not have the constitutional right to engage in consensual sex? 1/ https://t.co/48Thb8Uaym— Alan Dershowitz (@AlanDersh) July 29, 2019
“I stand by the constitutional (not moral) argument I offered in my controversial oped: if a 16 year old has the constitutional right to have an abortion without state or parental interference, how could she not have the constitutional right to engage in consensual sex?” he tweeted late Monday.
Dersh was responding to an unearthed op-ed where he called statutory rape an “outdated” concept, which was mentioned in a New Yorker feature on Dershowitz that ran this week.
And while he said he was strictly making what he calls a “constitutional argument” and not a moral one, maybe the microblogging platform isn’t exactly the place to make it, especially in light of the accusations.
You’re such a disgraced man and the truth is coming out!— laura mooney (@19531923) July 29, 2019
thank you for numbering your perv thread— unlicensed professional (@KrangTNelson) July 29, 2019
Just say, "I'm a pervert." It's much shorter.— John Pavlovitz (@johnpavlovitz) July 30, 2019
When I think of all the things I knew a Trump administration would manifest, I did not anticipate so much pedophelia. #CreepyDershowitz— Heather Whaley (@HeatherWhaley) July 30, 2019
Dershowitz’s mentions were full of baffled users tweeting their disapproval for his statement, including the hashtag “#CreepyDershowitz.”
- Jeffrey Epstein’s injury immediately tied to Clinton Body Count conspiracy theory
- Jeffrey Epstein’s pilot deletes Instagram after Kellyanne Conway pic surfaces
- Why is QAnon so obsessed with taking down cults?
- Alexander Acosta resigns amid Jeffrey Epstein plea criticism
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]