- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
- The Pete Buttigieg ‘High Hopes’ dance was designed by an intern Thursday 4:17 PM
- TikTok admits to hiding content made by fat, LGBTQ, and disabled users Thursday 3:58 PM
- ‘Merry Happy Whatever’ is an unoriginal sitcom with plenty of holiday cheer Thursday 3:55 PM
- The ‘Pod Save America’ Bros are losing it over Joe Biden’s newest ad Thursday 3:28 PM
- Van Halen had a wholesome response in defense of Billie Eilish Thursday 3:15 PM
Among the many claims to fame for fabled lawyer Alan Dershowitz—which include representing O.J. Simpson and getting shunned on Martha’s Vineyard for supporting President Donald Trump—was his help in representing financier Jeffrey Epstein back when he was arrested on child prostitution charges.
Dershowitz helped Epstein secure a one-year sentence in 2008, with a no-prosecution agreement going forward. Epstein is now accused of trafficking and pimping hundreds of underage girls.
Dersh himself may have been involved as well, as one of the reports from the Miami Herald that brought the Epstein case to light claimed he received massages at Epstein’s Florida mansion, among other claims. According to the Cut, Virginia Roberts Giuffre says that at 17, she was trafficked by Epstein to Dershowitz. She says they eventually had sex six times.
So, when embroiled in a pedophilia scandal, what is a man to do? Go on Twitter and argue the age of consent should be lowered to 16, or not go on Twitter and argue the age of consent should be lowered to 16?
A modern-day trolley problem, indeed.
I stand by the constitutional (not moral) argument I offered in my controversial oped: if a 16 year old has the constitutional right to have an abortion without state or parental interference, how could she not have the constitutional right to engage in consensual sex? 1/ https://t.co/48Thb8Uaym— Alan Dershowitz (@AlanDersh) July 29, 2019
“I stand by the constitutional (not moral) argument I offered in my controversial oped: if a 16 year old has the constitutional right to have an abortion without state or parental interference, how could she not have the constitutional right to engage in consensual sex?” he tweeted late Monday.
Dersh was responding to an unearthed op-ed where he called statutory rape an “outdated” concept, which was mentioned in a New Yorker feature on Dershowitz that ran this week.
And while he said he was strictly making what he calls a “constitutional argument” and not a moral one, maybe the microblogging platform isn’t exactly the place to make it, especially in light of the accusations.
You’re such a disgraced man and the truth is coming out!— laura mooney (@19531923) July 29, 2019
thank you for numbering your perv thread— unlicensed professional (@KrangTNelson) July 29, 2019
Just say, "I'm a pervert." It's much shorter.— John Pavlovitz (@johnpavlovitz) July 30, 2019
When I think of all the things I knew a Trump administration would manifest, I did not anticipate so much pedophelia. #CreepyDershowitz— Heather Whaley (@HeatherWhaley) July 30, 2019
Dershowitz’s mentions were full of baffled users tweeting their disapproval for his statement, including the hashtag “#CreepyDershowitz.”
- Jeffrey Epstein’s injury immediately tied to Clinton Body Count conspiracy theory
- Jeffrey Epstein’s pilot deletes Instagram after Kellyanne Conway pic surfaces
- Why is QAnon so obsessed with taking down cults?
- Alexander Acosta resigns amid Jeffrey Epstein plea criticism
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]