- Trump complains about his Twitter follower count to Jack Dorsey Tuesday 6:34 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ sticks the devastating landing—and gives you time to grieve Tuesday 5:00 PM
- Teen hits Apple with $1 billion lawsuit over alleged face recognition arrest Tuesday 4:48 PM
- John Cornyn tried to attack Patton Oswalt for his old tweets and failed miserably Tuesday 4:29 PM
- Logan Paul is selling a pillow of his dead dog—for a good cause Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Study: Too much Netflix, not enough ‘chill’ Tuesday 3:36 PM
- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte Tuesday 2:51 PM
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive Tuesday 2:49 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem (updated) Tuesday 2:47 PM
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Tuesday 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Tuesday 1:57 PM
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire Tuesday 1:47 PM
- The 18 best Korean beauty sheet masks Tuesday 1:25 PM
6 Toronto private school students charged with gang rape after video surfaces
Jeff Hitchcock/Flickr (CC-BY)
After a video of a teen allegedly being sexually assaulted by a broomstick went viral on social media, six students from a Toronto all-boys Catholic private school were charged with gang assault, sexual assault with a weapon, and assault, Vice reports.
Toronto police are currently investigating two separate sexual assaults at St. Michael’s College School. One investigation is into a video allegedly showing a student naked and being sexually assaulted with a broomstick in the locker room. A second investigation involves another video allegedly showing a boy in a bathroom sink in his underwear while students slap his bare skin.
Dominic Sinopoli, who is the unit commander of sex crimes for the Toronto police, said he believes there are more incidents of sexual assault at the school that have yet to be uncovered.
“I do believe there are more videos and/or more incidents,” Sinopoli told Vice. “All of these instances appear to be hazing initiated, but once they cross into a criminal area, that’s when we become involved.”
The school’s principal, Gregory Reeves, couldn’t address the media at police headquarters Monday because the school received a bomb threat. So far, eight students have been expelled, four related to the locker room and the other four to the washroom sink incident.
Sinopoli said he found out about the broomstick incident on Wednesday, leading to questions as to why the school didn’t report to the police when it occurred Monday.
- Police show up at Black man’s house after he recites Jay-Z lyrics
- Former judge who served 9 months for domestic violence accused of killing ex-wife
- Chipotle manager fired for denying service to Black man accused of dining and dashing
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.