- ‘Subtle Asian Dating’ is the un-Tinder we all need right now 3 Months Ago
- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
- 7-year-old YouTuber to get his own show on Nickelodeon Saturday 5:30 PM
- ‘Hipster’ jobs are trending, and Indeed says the market is booming Saturday 3:33 PM
- Trump meme removed after copyright complaint Saturday 2:15 PM
- Facebook pushes back against moderators complaining about ‘Big Brother’ environment Saturday 12:46 PM
- Twitter hid post from an account linked to Iran’s Supreme Leader Saturday 10:17 AM
6 Toronto private school students charged with gang rape after video surfaces
Jeff Hitchcock/Flickr (CC-BY)
After a video of a teen allegedly being sexually assaulted by a broomstick went viral on social media, six students from a Toronto all-boys Catholic private school were charged with gang assault, sexual assault with a weapon, and assault, Vice reports.
Toronto police are currently investigating two separate sexual assaults at St. Michael’s College School. One investigation is into a video allegedly showing a student naked and being sexually assaulted with a broomstick in the locker room. A second investigation involves another video allegedly showing a boy in a bathroom sink in his underwear while students slap his bare skin.
Dominic Sinopoli, who is the unit commander of sex crimes for the Toronto police, said he believes there are more incidents of sexual assault at the school that have yet to be uncovered.
“I do believe there are more videos and/or more incidents,” Sinopoli told Vice. “All of these instances appear to be hazing initiated, but once they cross into a criminal area, that’s when we become involved.”
The school’s principal, Gregory Reeves, couldn’t address the media at police headquarters Monday because the school received a bomb threat. So far, eight students have been expelled, four related to the locker room and the other four to the washroom sink incident.
Sinopoli said he found out about the broomstick incident on Wednesday, leading to questions as to why the school didn’t report to the police when it occurred Monday.
- Police show up at Black man’s house after he recites Jay-Z lyrics
- Former judge who served 9 months for domestic violence accused of killing ex-wife
- Chipotle manager fired for denying service to Black man accused of dining and dashing
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.