- Devin Nunes’ lawsuit with Twitter over parody accounts inspires more parody accounts Tuesday 7:53 PM
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez posts SpongeBob meme to diss Green New Deal adversaries Tuesday 7:23 PM
- Twitter blasts Benny Johnson over heinous Native American ‘socialist’ reservations take Tuesday 6:16 PM
- New Zealand arrests 2 for sharing video of mosque shooting Tuesday 4:44 PM
- ‘Queer Eye’ season 3 serves more frothy fun and cathartic realness Tuesday 4:30 PM
- Everyone is roasting this photo of Kourtney Kardashian in a bubble bath Tuesday 4:15 PM
- White House report has a lot of superheroes listed as interns Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Google to launch ‘Stadia’ cloud gaming service this year Tuesday 3:55 PM
- Amy Schumer addresses her ‘Growing’ pains in new Netflix special Tuesday 2:04 PM
- This Bitcoin tie is everyone’s favorite part of the Theranos documentary Tuesday 1:56 PM
- Trump’s social media guru gets suspended on Facebook Tuesday 1:51 PM
- YouTube time traveler says he saw a dinosaur—in the future Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Why is Netflix changing the viewing order for ‘Love, Death & Robots’? Tuesday 12:47 PM
- Elizabeth Holmes’ deep voice captivates and confuses the internet Tuesday 12:40 PM
- These cat purses have everything you need (including balls) Tuesday 12:22 PM
Rihanna has a new eyeliner out—and its name references one of the greatest clapbacks of this generation.
Fenty Beauty, Rihanna’s much loved cruelty-free beauty brand, is launching a new eyeliner. Except, it’s actually called Flyliner, which is just the first special touch Rihanna gave to the product she modeled on Instagram yesterday.
A post shared by badgalriri (@badgalriri) on
Regular makeup users are familiar with the interesting, sometimes puzzling, names for the different colors and shades their products come in. Fenty Beauty is no exception, with names like Mermaid Thighs, PMS, and Midnight Wasabi. Of course, all of these names and colors have a dollop of Rihanna’s personality rolled into them.
The latest is a reference to a classic clapback from a Rihanna tweet seven years ago, when a now-private Twitter user asked, “Why does her hair look so nappy?” and Rihanna replied:
@NinyaBella cuz I'm black bitch!!!!
— Rihanna (@rihanna) May 11, 2011
Yes, Rihanna named the liquid black flyliner “Cuz I’m Black.” The internet is living for this throwback to this vintage Rihanna moment, which, like a fine wine, seems to have only gotten better with age.
RIHANNA NAMED THIS EYELINER CUZ IM BLACK IM SCREAMING pic.twitter.com/2Q6I1Qt5rZ
— sora’s keyblade (@hermesGOD) June 25, 2018
Rihanna has a @fentybeauty eyeliner coming out called, “Cuz I’m Black”. Ladies & gentlemen, the only eyeliner I’m wearing from now on.
— D. Camp (@descxmp) June 26, 2018
Besides the usual love for Fenty Beauty’s tried and true products, some are hoping that Flyliner will be a good replacement for Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner, as many dropped her products after finding out she is anti-vaccination.
rihanna’s eyeliner better be as good as k*t v*n d’s
— tyler (@talesoftyler) June 26, 2018
Ran out of liquid eyeliner this morning and thought wow I really don’t wanna buy any more products from KVD but everything else sucks. And then Rihanna drops Fenty eyeliner!!!!! I’m sorry if that’s not divine intervention IDK what is!!
— KP (@kaylaperks) June 25, 2018
In the last days of December 2017, Fenty Beauty dropped a line of matte lipsticks called Mattemoiselle. The colors included a navy blue shade named Clapback. Rihanna’s makeup artist, Hector Espinal, said in an interview with Refinery29, “She’s known for her social media clapbacks, and her navy [her fans] are always clapping back at haters, defending her and supporting her, so she decided to name this navy blue Clapback for them.”
This leads us to wonder, is foreshadowing in makeup a thing? If it wasn’t before, it is now. Thank you, Rihanna.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree