- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority 1 Year Ago
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Today 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Today 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
Rihanna has a new eyeliner out—and its name references one of the greatest clapbacks of this generation.
Fenty Beauty, Rihanna’s much loved cruelty-free beauty brand, is launching a new eyeliner. Except, it’s actually called Flyliner, which is just the first special touch Rihanna gave to the product she modeled on Instagram yesterday.
A post shared by badgalriri (@badgalriri) on
Regular makeup users are familiar with the interesting, sometimes puzzling, names for the different colors and shades their products come in. Fenty Beauty is no exception, with names like Mermaid Thighs, PMS, and Midnight Wasabi. Of course, all of these names and colors have a dollop of Rihanna’s personality rolled into them.
The latest is a reference to a classic clapback from a Rihanna tweet seven years ago, when a now-private Twitter user asked, “Why does her hair look so nappy?” and Rihanna replied:
@NinyaBella cuz I'm black bitch!!!!— Rihanna (@rihanna) May 11, 2011
Yes, Rihanna named the liquid black flyliner “Cuz I’m Black.” The internet is living for this throwback to this vintage Rihanna moment, which, like a fine wine, seems to have only gotten better with age.
RIHANNA NAMED THIS EYELINER CUZ IM BLACK IM SCREAMING pic.twitter.com/2Q6I1Qt5rZ— sora’s keyblade (@hermesGOD) June 25, 2018
Rihanna has a @fentybeauty eyeliner coming out called, “Cuz I’m Black”. Ladies & gentlemen, the only eyeliner I’m wearing from now on.— D. Camp (@descxmp) June 26, 2018
Besides the usual love for Fenty Beauty’s tried and true products, some are hoping that Flyliner will be a good replacement for Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner, as many dropped her products after finding out she is anti-vaccination.
rihanna’s eyeliner better be as good as k*t v*n d’s— tyler (@talesoftyler) June 26, 2018
Ran out of liquid eyeliner this morning and thought wow I really don’t wanna buy any more products from KVD but everything else sucks. And then Rihanna drops Fenty eyeliner!!!!! I’m sorry if that’s not divine intervention IDK what is!!— KP (@kaylaperks) June 25, 2018
In the last days of December 2017, Fenty Beauty dropped a line of matte lipsticks called Mattemoiselle. The colors included a navy blue shade named Clapback. Rihanna’s makeup artist, Hector Espinal, said in an interview with Refinery29, “She’s known for her social media clapbacks, and her navy [her fans] are always clapping back at haters, defending her and supporting her, so she decided to name this navy blue Clapback for them.”
This leads us to wonder, is foreshadowing in makeup a thing? If it wasn’t before, it is now. Thank you, Rihanna.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.