- Discord allegedly used to lure teenager boy to Florida trailer housing sex slave Tuesday 7:36 PM
- Millie Bobby Brown has the wrong take on ‘You’ Tuesday 6:42 PM
- Why is Tony Stark missing from the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer? Tuesday 6:00 PM
- The creepy texts this woman received are eerily similar to Netflix’s ‘You’ Tuesday 4:20 PM
- Roku defends decision to host InfoWars amid online backlash (updated) Tuesday 4:04 PM
- Pump yourself up for ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8 with this masterfully edited hype video Tuesday 2:35 PM
- NBC asked reporters not to call Steve King’s comments ‘racist’ Tuesday 2:21 PM
- Disney files copyright claim on YouTuber’s Darth Vader film—and the creator is devastated Tuesday 2:18 PM
- The ’10 Year Challenge’ isn’t as fun for trans people Tuesday 1:25 PM
- New Nike shoes can be controlled from your smartphone Tuesday 1:06 PM
- Cardi B. jumps on 10-year challenge with high school performance of Lady Gaga song Tuesday 12:28 PM
- Parents, teachers cry foul over Verizon fee hike for popular education app Tuesday 11:57 AM
- Conservative men are kicking and screaming about Gillette’s new toxic masculinity ad Tuesday 11:23 AM
- Mysterio is hot now in the ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ trailer Tuesday 10:53 AM
- Netflix hikes prices on all subscription plans Tuesday 10:48 AM
Rihanna has a new eyeliner out—and its name references one of the greatest clapbacks of this generation.
Fenty Beauty, Rihanna’s much loved cruelty-free beauty brand, is launching a new eyeliner. Except, it’s actually called Flyliner, which is just the first special touch Rihanna gave to the product she modeled on Instagram yesterday.
A post shared by badgalriri (@badgalriri) on
Regular makeup users are familiar with the interesting, sometimes puzzling, names for the different colors and shades their products come in. Fenty Beauty is no exception, with names like Mermaid Thighs, PMS, and Midnight Wasabi. Of course, all of these names and colors have a dollop of Rihanna’s personality rolled into them.
The latest is a reference to a classic clapback from a Rihanna tweet seven years ago, when a now-private Twitter user asked, “Why does her hair look so nappy?” and Rihanna replied:
@NinyaBella cuz I'm black bitch!!!!
— Rihanna (@rihanna) May 11, 2011
Yes, Rihanna named the liquid black flyliner “Cuz I’m Black.” The internet is living for this throwback to this vintage Rihanna moment, which, like a fine wine, seems to have only gotten better with age.
RIHANNA NAMED THIS EYELINER CUZ IM BLACK IM SCREAMING pic.twitter.com/2Q6I1Qt5rZ
— sora’s keyblade (@hermesGOD) June 25, 2018
Rihanna has a @fentybeauty eyeliner coming out called, “Cuz I’m Black”. Ladies & gentlemen, the only eyeliner I’m wearing from now on.
— D. Camp (@descxmp) June 26, 2018
Besides the usual love for Fenty Beauty’s tried and true products, some are hoping that Flyliner will be a good replacement for Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner, as many dropped her products after finding out she is anti-vaccination.
rihanna’s eyeliner better be as good as k*t v*n d’s
— tyler (@talesoftyler) June 26, 2018
Ran out of liquid eyeliner this morning and thought wow I really don’t wanna buy any more products from KVD but everything else sucks. And then Rihanna drops Fenty eyeliner!!!!! I’m sorry if that’s not divine intervention IDK what is!!
— KP (@kaylaperks) June 25, 2018
In the last days of December 2017, Fenty Beauty dropped a line of matte lipsticks called Mattemoiselle. The colors included a navy blue shade named Clapback. Rihanna’s makeup artist, Hector Espinal, said in an interview with Refinery29, “She’s known for her social media clapbacks, and her navy [her fans] are always clapping back at haters, defending her and supporting her, so she decided to name this navy blue Clapback for them.”
This leads us to wonder, is foreshadowing in makeup a thing? If it wasn’t before, it is now. Thank you, Rihanna.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently working out of St. Paul, Minnesota. They have bylines at The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, and Bullet Points. Follow them on Twitter @thedialogtree