- Reddit Relationships: Man laughs at girlfriend for using Microsoft PowerPoint during sex Thursday 8:59 PM
- The 15 Brad Pitt movies you need to see now, ranked Thursday 8:26 PM
- Facebook could face legal action over the Area 51 event Thursday 6:50 PM
- How to stream Texans vs. Chargers in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 6:40 PM
- Tekashi 69 alleges Cardi B was a Bloods gang member Thursday 5:55 PM
- Right-wing sites falsely claimed group of Somalis attacked man in viral video Thursday 5:00 PM
- Big creators risk losing checkmarks amid YouTube verification purge Thursday 4:56 PM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Lions in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 4:52 PM
- How to stream Steelers vs. 49ers in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 4:10 PM
- How to stream Bills vs. Bengals in NFL Week 3 action Thursday 4:03 PM
- Colt halts production of AR-15s for civilians Thursday 3:45 PM
- If you love long-winded, hashtag-heavy Instagram captions, these apps can help Thursday 2:54 PM
- Teen girls on TikTok have convinced the internet that they eat their tampons Thursday 2:33 PM
- Twitch streamer faces criticism for trying to defend racist jokes Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Raiders vs. Vikings in Week 3 Thursday 12:55 PM
Rihanna has a new eyeliner out—and its name references one of the greatest clapbacks of this generation.
Fenty Beauty, Rihanna’s much loved cruelty-free beauty brand, is launching a new eyeliner. Except, it’s actually called Flyliner, which is just the first special touch Rihanna gave to the product she modeled on Instagram yesterday.
A post shared by badgalriri (@badgalriri) on
Regular makeup users are familiar with the interesting, sometimes puzzling, names for the different colors and shades their products come in. Fenty Beauty is no exception, with names like Mermaid Thighs, PMS, and Midnight Wasabi. Of course, all of these names and colors have a dollop of Rihanna’s personality rolled into them.
The latest is a reference to a classic clapback from a Rihanna tweet seven years ago, when a now-private Twitter user asked, “Why does her hair look so nappy?” and Rihanna replied:
@NinyaBella cuz I'm black bitch!!!!— Rihanna (@rihanna) May 11, 2011
Yes, Rihanna named the liquid black flyliner “Cuz I’m Black.” The internet is living for this throwback to this vintage Rihanna moment, which, like a fine wine, seems to have only gotten better with age.
RIHANNA NAMED THIS EYELINER CUZ IM BLACK IM SCREAMING pic.twitter.com/2Q6I1Qt5rZ— sora’s keyblade (@hermesGOD) June 25, 2018
Rihanna has a @fentybeauty eyeliner coming out called, “Cuz I’m Black”. Ladies & gentlemen, the only eyeliner I’m wearing from now on.— D. Camp (@descxmp) June 26, 2018
Besides the usual love for Fenty Beauty’s tried and true products, some are hoping that Flyliner will be a good replacement for Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner, as many dropped her products after finding out she is anti-vaccination.
rihanna’s eyeliner better be as good as k*t v*n d’s— tyler (@talesoftyler) June 26, 2018
Ran out of liquid eyeliner this morning and thought wow I really don’t wanna buy any more products from KVD but everything else sucks. And then Rihanna drops Fenty eyeliner!!!!! I’m sorry if that’s not divine intervention IDK what is!!— KP (@kaylaperks) June 25, 2018
In the last days of December 2017, Fenty Beauty dropped a line of matte lipsticks called Mattemoiselle. The colors included a navy blue shade named Clapback. Rihanna’s makeup artist, Hector Espinal, said in an interview with Refinery29, “She’s known for her social media clapbacks, and her navy [her fans] are always clapping back at haters, defending her and supporting her, so she decided to name this navy blue Clapback for them.”
This leads us to wonder, is foreshadowing in makeup a thing? If it wasn’t before, it is now. Thank you, Rihanna.
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alex Dalbey is a writer and zinester currently living in Saint Paul, Minnesota. They have written for The Daily Dot, Kill Screen, The Lingerie Addict, and Bullet Points.