- Southwest Airlines passengers receive free Nintendo Switch consoles and Mario Maker 2 Wednesday 9:10 PM
- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
May the most clever match win.
Swiping left and right on Tinder can get pretty mundane, so the key to landing a date (or late-night booty call) is making sure your first message is not only a clever line but something totally worth responding to. Tinder doesn’t play around with people who are too shy to express who they are to their potential romantic interest, so a simple “hey” is bound to leave you disappointed when you don’t get a reply.
From raunchy to respectful, here are some of the most hilariously impressive one-liners from Reddit’s r/Tinder that have either landed a date or left someone high and dry with nothing but a great joke lingering in a stale message portal.
The best Tinder pick-up lines on Reddit
1) Titanic references
Alternatively, start off by asking your match if Jack would have fit on the door. (He definitely did.)
2) The successful name pun
This effortless, cheesy one-liner worked so well it’s nearly unbelievable.
3) The unsuccessful (but more creative) name pun
This poor match appears to have been ignored, but props for writing an opener that feels like the opening scene in an action movie (and is also a cheesy name pun).
4) Seeking tall matches only
Finally, a creative use for the “I’m 6’3 “if it matters” line you probably already have written in your bio. This opener lasted way too long, but 10 points for the respectful tone and actually setting an IRL date.
- The ultimate guide to Snapchat flirting
- 10 best texting games to play when you’re bored
- A beginner’s guide to sexting
5) The subtle apocalypse reference
Nothing more attractive than a person who knows their history and apocalyptic conspiracy theories.
6) The risky pizza pun
Dejonna clearly didn’t appreciate the pizza joke, but it was straight fire. Tinder is all about taking risks, anyway.
7) Cutting right to chase
Clearly, these two users know the key to being successful on Tinder is being upfront and forward.
8) The mid-convo one-liner
Ask and thy shall receive.
9) The adult knock-knock joke
Looking for candidates for a threesome isn’t out-of-the-ordinary on Tinder, and turning the question into a knock-knock joke is a casual way to make it less awkward.
- How to leave a group text message once and for all
- The best of Reddit’s Shower Thoughts, illustrated
- 15 simple rules for Instagram flirting
10) The pun that just keeps going
Isabel could have said more, but this match might need to take a hint and leave the joke for the opener. Still, maintaining a dying pun is one way to showcase your commitment.
11) Dark and moody
Taking the mysterious, dark humor route may attract some, but it seems Julia passed on this match. But who knows, depending on who you match with, self-deprecation could be the way to go.
12) The video game name pun
I have a feeling Joshi has heard a Mario joke once before—and from the looks of it, it didn’t end well. But props to this user for what is probably the most well-written name puns we’ve ever seen.
Editor’s note: This article is regularly updated for relevance.
Kristen Hubby is a tech and lifestyle reporter. Her writing focuses on sex, pop culture, streaming entertainment, and social media, with an emphasis on major platforms like Snapchat, YouTube, and Spotify. Her work has also appeared in Austin Monthly and the Austin American-Statesman, where she covered local news and the dining scene in Austin, Texas.