- Instagram and Facebook are reportedly blocking queer ads Friday 8:58 PM
- Review: Tyler Perry’s ‘A Fall From Grace’ is both nonsensical and utterly predictable Friday 6:48 PM
- Is Hulu censoring the Iran episode of Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Parts Unknown’? Friday 6:05 PM
- Trump admin celebrates Michelle Obama’s birthday by proposing rollback of her signature initiative Friday 4:01 PM
- TSA apologizes after agent grabs indigenous woman’s braids, says ‘giddyup’ Friday 3:28 PM
- Blue Bell ice cream licker pleads guilty Friday 2:54 PM
- 7 fortune-telling sites for when you’re bored Friday 2:21 PM
- Governor bans sex puns on free condom wrappers Friday 2:16 PM
- Is Justin Bieber’s ‘Yummy’ video secretly about Pizzagate? Friday 1:01 PM
- Woah Vicky rips out her hair in botched cultural appropriation attempt Friday 12:30 PM
- Here’s an exclusive look at ‘Weathering With You’ Friday 11:57 AM
- TikTok dudes are dipping their balls in soy sauce for ‘science’ Friday 11:49 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme Friday 11:10 AM
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation Friday 10:41 AM
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout Friday 10:34 AM
Rainbow hair is the dream of any kid who grew up with My Little Pony or Jem and the Holograms. When you’re six years old, however, this goal is sadly unattainable. But now that we’re all grown up, there’s nothing stopping them from living out that dream now.
The “sand art” hair trend involves dying individual locks of hair different colors, giving you the appearance of a whimsical, rainbow-headed cartoon character. The style is named after those craft kits people use to make bottles of stripey, multicolored sand—possibly a familiar sight if you were a #90skid.
A photo posted by Kyle W (@musicxtu92) on
More rainbow hair! 😄🌈 #rainbow #rainbowhair #unicorn #unicornhair #orangehair #pinkhair #purplehair #alternativehair #alternative #shorthair #directions #directionshairdye #directionshaircolor #greenhair #hairideas #hairbob #lariche #larichehairdye #yellowhair #colorfulhair #colourfulhair #bluehair
A photo posted by ‘Reena (@crayola_reena) on
A photo posted by Dirty Ass Soaps (@dirtyasssoaps) on
🌎UNICORN TRIBE MEMBER🌎 @amandazcoloristmt created this awesome piece of artwork! Trending outside the hair world is calling this #sandarthair #sandhairart but we have just been calling it #rainbowhair #unicornhair #mermaidhair and experimenting for years blending stretching roots slicing all types of fun things! So happy to have a wider audience to showcase our work!!! She is a stunning artist and I wonderful contributor to our tribe! #behindthechair #btcpics #modernsalon #americansalon #angelofcolour #bangstyle #beautylaunchpad #whocuts #joico #ruskhaircare #unicorntribe #haircutgr #rainbowhair #fairyhair #unicornhair #thatssotribe #colorfulhair #tumblerhair #dyedhair #cakefaceconfessionofficial #mermaidians #butterflyloftsalon #pinkhair #mermaidhair #popsugar #buzzfeed #teenvogue #sandhairart #sandarthair #sofiavergara
A photo posted by THE UNICORN TRIBE (@theunicorntribe) on
A photo posted by Love-Lee (@love_lee_uk_) on
Sand art hair isn’t impossible to do yourself, but like any really vibrant hair color, it does require you to bleach your locks to a lighter hue beforehand. Teen Vogue recommends this specific line of sand art-inspired colors from PRAVANA, although there’s nothing wrong with sticking to old Hot Topic favorites like Manic Panic and RAW.
These instructions from XOVain are geared toward achieving a more pastel goth aesthetic, but they give you a good idea of the basic steps required to achieve a sand art look.
A photo posted by circuit style salon (@circuitstylesalon) on
Do it. Dye your hair 15 colors at once. Fulfill that childhood dream of being Rainbow Brite.
Screengrab via PRAVANA/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor