- New York to ban sale of most flavored e-cigarettes Today 8:45 AM
- How to watch ‘Dancing with the Stars’ season 28 Today 8:06 AM
- Watch the new ‘Jurassic World’ short film ‘Battle at Big Rock’ Today 8:04 AM
- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a Triple Crown-winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles systemic racism in ‘Hello, Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
Rainbow hair is the dream of any kid who grew up with My Little Pony or Jem and the Holograms. When you’re six years old, however, this goal is sadly unattainable. But now that we’re all grown up, there’s nothing stopping them from living out that dream now.
The “sand art” hair trend involves dying individual locks of hair different colors, giving you the appearance of a whimsical, rainbow-headed cartoon character. The style is named after those craft kits people use to make bottles of stripey, multicolored sand—possibly a familiar sight if you were a #90skid.
A photo posted by Kyle W (@musicxtu92) on
More rainbow hair! 😄🌈 #rainbow #rainbowhair #unicorn #unicornhair #orangehair #pinkhair #purplehair #alternativehair #alternative #shorthair #directions #directionshairdye #directionshaircolor #greenhair #hairideas #hairbob #lariche #larichehairdye #yellowhair #colorfulhair #colourfulhair #bluehair
A photo posted by ‘Reena (@crayola_reena) on
A photo posted by Dirty Ass Soaps (@dirtyasssoaps) on
🌎UNICORN TRIBE MEMBER🌎 @amandazcoloristmt created this awesome piece of artwork! Trending outside the hair world is calling this #sandarthair #sandhairart but we have just been calling it #rainbowhair #unicornhair #mermaidhair and experimenting for years blending stretching roots slicing all types of fun things! So happy to have a wider audience to showcase our work!!! She is a stunning artist and I wonderful contributor to our tribe! #behindthechair #btcpics #modernsalon #americansalon #angelofcolour #bangstyle #beautylaunchpad #whocuts #joico #ruskhaircare #unicorntribe #haircutgr #rainbowhair #fairyhair #unicornhair #thatssotribe #colorfulhair #tumblerhair #dyedhair #cakefaceconfessionofficial #mermaidians #butterflyloftsalon #pinkhair #mermaidhair #popsugar #buzzfeed #teenvogue #sandhairart #sandarthair #sofiavergara
A photo posted by THE UNICORN TRIBE (@theunicorntribe) on
A photo posted by Love-Lee (@love_lee_uk_) on
Sand art hair isn’t impossible to do yourself, but like any really vibrant hair color, it does require you to bleach your locks to a lighter hue beforehand. Teen Vogue recommends this specific line of sand art-inspired colors from PRAVANA, although there’s nothing wrong with sticking to old Hot Topic favorites like Manic Panic and RAW.
These instructions from XOVain are geared toward achieving a more pastel goth aesthetic, but they give you a good idea of the basic steps required to achieve a sand art look.
A photo posted by circuit style salon (@circuitstylesalon) on
Do it. Dye your hair 15 colors at once. Fulfill that childhood dream of being Rainbow Brite.
Screengrab via PRAVANA/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor