- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Saturday 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Saturday 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Saturday 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ (updated) Saturday 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Saturday 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Saturday 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Saturday 9:00 AM
The always-enigmatic first lady Melania Trump had those exact words scribbled on the back of her khaki green jacket as she—wait for it—boarded a plane to visit a shelter for immigrant children at the Texas-Mexico border.
Even beyond the weirdness of a millionaire ex-model donning a $39 Zara jacket, the choice seemed particularly inappropriate considering the flood of news coming out about her husband’s “zero-tolerance” immigration policy and its effect on families at the border.
After leaving Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland, Trump ditched the jacket for a different one before landing in McAllen, Texas. But to many, the damage was already done.
Some Twitter users drew comparisons between the coverage of the Obamas’ wardrobe choices and Trump’s fashion faux-pas. Others expressed pure outrage.
Here's why the "I really don't care" jacket worn by Melania Trump matters.— Adam Best (@adamcbest) June 21, 2018
Michelle's sleeveless dress caused outrage.
Barack caught hell for a tan suit.
If either Obama went to a humanitarian crisis with messaging like this, right-wing America would've hammered them forever. pic.twitter.com/EsuzxoC4JE
Michelle Obama wears a sleeveless top— Mike Dewey (@MikeJDewey) June 21, 2018
Michelle Obama wants kids to eat vegetables and drink water
GOP: HOW DARE SHE!
Melania Trump poses nude for photos
GOP: WHAT A CLASSY FLOTUS!
Melania Trump wears jacket signaling she doesnt care about baby jails
Melania's "Let Them Eat Cake" jacket was at the cleaners.— Bob Cesca (@bobcesca_go) June 21, 2018
Let’s go ahead and never feel bad for Melania Trump again.— Pat Cunnane (@PatCunnane) June 21, 2018
That last ounce of pull Melania Trump had to appear like the voice of reason or compassion just left the building...wearing a $39 jacket from ZARA.— Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) June 21, 2018
President Donald Trump insisted the jacket was a stab at ‘Fake News Media.’
“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 21, 2018
Melania Trump’s spokesperson, Stephanie Grisham, defended the first lady’s outfit and tried to steer the focus onto Trump’s concern for the families.
“It’s a jacket. There was no hidden message,” Grisham said, according to CNN. “After today’s important visit to Texas, I hope the media isn’t going to choose to focus on her wardrobe.”
She also maintained that it was the first lady’s idea to visit the Upbring New Hope Children’s Shelter.
Today’s visit w the children in Texas impacted @flotus greatly. If media would spend their time & energy on her actions & efforts to help kids - rather than speculate & focus on her wardrobe - we could get so much accomplished on behalf of children. #SheCares #ItsJustAJacket— Stephanie Grisham (@StephGrisham45) June 21, 2018
Despite Grisham’s attempt to recenter the conversation, photos of the jacket rapidly spread across social media. Upworthy writer Parker Molloy mocked Trump with a series of photoshopped images that memed the outfit and made reference to several other scandals before ending with a call for political action.
Since Melania Trump's jacket said "I really don't care"...— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) June 21, 2018
I set up https://t.co/GL1FF0KpBs
Click the link and it'll take you to a site where you can donate to 14 awesome groups helping immigrants all at once. Feel free to RT if that's your jam. pic.twitter.com/TPc4y4ZUfh
Many users created their own versions of the meme, most of them trying to bring attention to other issues.
Still can't believe what Melania wore today pic.twitter.com/98gvcMnXis— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) June 21, 2018
Made a new coat for Melania Trump. Hope she wears it. pic.twitter.com/AsJgo0Bavc— Sarah Wood (@sarahwoodwriter) June 21, 2018
Fixed Melania's jacket pic.twitter.com/e0K7LEu74X— Thor Benson (@thor_benson) June 21, 2018
Whatever her intentions were with the jacket, it’s clear that Trump has to learn that all of her actions have consequences—even if she doesn’t care.
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.