- What is “TikTok including Musical.ly”? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
- This fish with a ‘human face’ is here to give you nightmares Tuesday 3:28 PM
- TikTok’s piercing challenge leaves the fate of your face up to a filter Tuesday 2:54 PM
- Soldiers with top-secret clearance say they were ordered to install a sketchy app Tuesday 2:46 PM
- How to take your Korean beauty routine on the go Tuesday 2:24 PM
- Disney+’s ‘Encore!’ is a love letter to high school theater Tuesday 2:15 PM
- White tourist filmed shouting homophobic, racist slurs Tuesday 1:31 PM
The always-enigmatic first lady Melania Trump had those exact words scribbled on the back of her khaki green jacket as she—wait for it—boarded a plane to visit a shelter for immigrant children at the Texas-Mexico border.
Even beyond the weirdness of a millionaire ex-model donning a $39 Zara jacket, the choice seemed particularly inappropriate considering the flood of news coming out about her husband’s “zero-tolerance” immigration policy and its effect on families at the border.
After leaving Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland, Trump ditched the jacket for a different one before landing in McAllen, Texas. But to many, the damage was already done.
Some Twitter users drew comparisons between the coverage of the Obamas’ wardrobe choices and Trump’s fashion faux-pas. Others expressed pure outrage.
Here's why the "I really don't care" jacket worn by Melania Trump matters.— Adam Best (@adamcbest) June 21, 2018
Michelle's sleeveless dress caused outrage.
Barack caught hell for a tan suit.
If either Obama went to a humanitarian crisis with messaging like this, right-wing America would've hammered them forever. pic.twitter.com/EsuzxoC4JE
Michelle Obama wears a sleeveless top— Mike Dewey (@MikeJDewey) June 21, 2018
Michelle Obama wants kids to eat vegetables and drink water
GOP: HOW DARE SHE!
Melania Trump poses nude for photos
GOP: WHAT A CLASSY FLOTUS!
Melania Trump wears jacket signaling she doesnt care about baby jails
Melania's "Let Them Eat Cake" jacket was at the cleaners.— Bob Cesca (@bobcesca_go) June 21, 2018
Let’s go ahead and never feel bad for Melania Trump again.— Pat Cunnane (@PatCunnane) June 21, 2018
That last ounce of pull Melania Trump had to appear like the voice of reason or compassion just left the building...wearing a $39 jacket from ZARA.— Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) June 21, 2018
President Donald Trump insisted the jacket was a stab at ‘Fake News Media.’
“I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO U?” written on the back of Melania’s jacket, refers to the Fake News Media. Melania has learned how dishonest they are, and she truly no longer cares!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 21, 2018
Melania Trump’s spokesperson, Stephanie Grisham, defended the first lady’s outfit and tried to steer the focus onto Trump’s concern for the families.
“It’s a jacket. There was no hidden message,” Grisham said, according to CNN. “After today’s important visit to Texas, I hope the media isn’t going to choose to focus on her wardrobe.”
She also maintained that it was the first lady’s idea to visit the Upbring New Hope Children’s Shelter.
Today’s visit w the children in Texas impacted @flotus greatly. If media would spend their time & energy on her actions & efforts to help kids - rather than speculate & focus on her wardrobe - we could get so much accomplished on behalf of children. #SheCares #ItsJustAJacket— Stephanie Grisham (@StephGrisham45) June 21, 2018
Despite Grisham’s attempt to recenter the conversation, photos of the jacket rapidly spread across social media. Upworthy writer Parker Molloy mocked Trump with a series of photoshopped images that memed the outfit and made reference to several other scandals before ending with a call for political action.
Since Melania Trump's jacket said "I really don't care"...— Parker Molloy (@ParkerMolloy) June 21, 2018
I set up https://t.co/GL1FF0KpBs
Click the link and it'll take you to a site where you can donate to 14 awesome groups helping immigrants all at once. Feel free to RT if that's your jam. pic.twitter.com/TPc4y4ZUfh
Many users created their own versions of the meme, most of them trying to bring attention to other issues.
Still can't believe what Melania wore today pic.twitter.com/98gvcMnXis— TechnicallyRon (@TechnicallyRon) June 21, 2018
Made a new coat for Melania Trump. Hope she wears it. pic.twitter.com/AsJgo0Bavc— Sarah Wood (@sarahwoodwriter) June 21, 2018
Fixed Melania's jacket pic.twitter.com/e0K7LEu74X— Thor Benson (@thor_benson) June 21, 2018
Whatever her intentions were with the jacket, it’s clear that Trump has to learn that all of her actions have consequences—even if she doesn’t care.
Kristina Nguyen is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot. She is studying journalism and American studies at the University of Texas at Austin. She has previously contributed to Orange magazine and Silk Club's QUIET! zine.