- Instagram revokes Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s verified status Wednesday 5:23 PM
- Transgender people suffer when debates over their rights are framed as ‘distractions’ Wednesday 4:57 PM
- Hulu with Live TV just hiked its prices Wednesday 4:05 PM
- Hacker infiltrates Nest cameras to gain PewDiePie subscribers Wednesday 2:37 PM
- YouTube time traveler claims MLK’s granddaughter will be the last U.S. president Wednesday 2:30 PM
- Media coverage of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s Twitch cameo erases Chelsea Manning Wednesday 1:39 PM
- New Alexa skill lets you sing with Queen’s Freddie Mercury Wednesday 1:13 PM
- Netflix is the first streaming platform to join MPAA Wednesday 12:59 PM
- Can you spot an email from a hacker? Wednesday 12:46 PM
- Gina Rodriguez cries over being called anti-Black, gets dragged for ‘fake tears’ Wednesday 12:21 PM
- Boots Riley explains why he got snubbed by the Oscars Wednesday 12:20 PM
- Review: ‘Buffy’ returns with a modern comic book reboot Wednesday 11:47 AM
- You’re about to see a lot more Netflix on your Instagram Wednesday 11:32 AM
- Covington students defend blackface video as ‘school spirit’ Wednesday 11:30 AM
- This YouTuber reportedly filmed himself abusing his cat—and his channel is still active Wednesday 11:18 AM
Barack Obama isn’t remembered for his fashion. But he isn’t remembered for being an outfit repeater, either.
In his post-presidency days, Obama has been spotted in a cool leather jacket (which apparently he owned all along). There was also that one time in 2014 that Twitter went nuts over Obama wearing a tan suit while talking about war.
But in an interview Tuesday at Apple’s developer conference in San Jose, California, Michelle Obama said her husband got away with repeatedly wearing the same tuxedo to different events during his presidency.
“This is the unfair thing,” she said. “No matter what we do, he puts on that same tux. Now, people take pictures of the shoes I wear, the bracelets, the necklace. They didn’t comment that for eight years he wore that same tux… same shoes.”
— Luis Ascorbe (@Lascorbe) June 6, 2017
He did, apparently, acquire a new tuxedo jacket somewhere between 2014 and 2015. But of course that’s nothing like the elaborate dresses and gowns the first lady donned for every occasion. Nevertheless, Barack was supposedly a bit smug about how little time it took him to get ready.
“He was proud of it too,” Michelle said. “He’s like, ‘Mm, I’m ready. I’m ready in 10 minutes. Mm, how long did it take you?’ And I’m like, ‘Get out of here.’”
She doesn’t seem to mind so much—unless something was out of place. She explained why she adjusted her husband’s bow tie in a photo that gained viral traction in 2015.
“When the president from the visiting country and their spouse is coming, we greet them at the North Portico,” she said. “We were standing there waiting for the cars to roll in, and I was bored, so I sort of thought, ‘Let me make sure my husband looks good.’”
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.