- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun 2 Years Ago
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online 2 Years Ago
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Today 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Today 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Today 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Today 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Today 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
- Disney’s Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries is now on hold Today 6:47 AM
- The coronavirus outbreak has become a breeding ground of misinformation Today 6:30 AM
When it’s time to tie the knot, both partners usually can sense it. But one couple took this serendipity to the next level, with both women proposing to each other at the same time.
Last Friday, Becky McCabe and Jessa Gillaspie were visiting the Memphis Zoo, where the couple originally went on their first date. McCabe figured she’d use the opportunity to propose to Gillaspie, and she purposefully had a friend planted there to capture the moment on video when she popped the question. So when McCabe and Gillaspie went to pose to remember the day, McCabe asked Gillaspie for her hand—but then Gillaspie surprised her partner with a ring of her own.
“Oh my god!” Gillaspie squealed in the video, before she brought out her ring box, causing the couple to laugh uncontrollably before hugging one another.
The couple’s proposal has since gone viral for being hilariously touching and adorable.
This couple deserves all the love and happiness in the world! Love you two so much, so happy for you ❤️❤️❤️— Erica Kessler (@ekessler85) May 28, 2018
“lesbians accidentally proposing to each other at the same time” is my favorite genre of film https://t.co/vq92dgkbc7— yikes (@daniellaraaae) May 30, 2018
i don’t believe in soulmates but man, this is another level of ‘meant-to-be’ https://t.co/pQPH8jjpdK— Stephanie Carolina (@StephCSanchez) May 30, 2018
At this rate, “Double Lesbian Proposal” is set to become a viral video genre of its own. Earlier this year, a lesbian couple proposed to each other while playing Pictionary, too.
this is the second double proposal lesbian video i've seen, wh y are we like this omg https://t.co/o66XTDj68M— Julianna / Bakurapika (@Donteatacowman) May 31, 2018
Straight proposal videos: this man proposed to a woman in public and it made it her uncomfortable/at an event that was in her honour and stole her moment— Die Mad About It #REPEALT (@dykemartens) May 31, 2018
Lesbian proposal videos: these women understand each other so much that they planned to propose at the same time
the lesbian way: so prepared and ready for a mutual lifetime commitment that the only possible outcome of a potentially awkward public proposal is that you both propose at once https://t.co/20OllWGhkx— Hannah Flynn (@itshannahflynn) May 30, 2018
If you’re now frantically searching for ‘lesbian double proposals’ like me, here’s another good one: https://t.co/iOsjUKdbWo— Gayish Podcast (@gayishpodcast) May 30, 2018
lesbians are so fucking good at this marriage thing https://t.co/S3BlJ4R3cg— Whipped Ketchup (@NECROMANClNG) May 30, 2018
we’re gonna keep getting surprise viral lesbian double proposal videos bc women are THOUGHTFUL and love LOVE https://t.co/YLIdOYyTs3— Rebecca R. (@rebovva) May 30, 2018
- The dirty, complex, empowering history of the word ‘queer’
- What it means to be transgender
- Womyn, womxn, and women: The difference between the terms
- 5 dating apps for queer women without any of the bulls**t
McCabe and Gillaspie are incredibly grateful for all the love they’re received online. Gillaspie’s original Facebook post has over 20,000 reactions and more than 17,000 shares, with Gillaspie saying she is “the luckiest girl in the world to be able to call [McCabe] my fiancé.”
“We had no idea this would blow up so quickly!” Gillaspie wrote in an edit to the Facebook post. “But I can’t say I’m not thrilled, because all I’ve ever wanted was for Beck and the world to know how much l love her. We are overwhelmed with all of the positive responses. Really, you guys have no idea how much that means to us!”
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.