- What exactly is ‘too adult’ for Disney+? 3 Years Ago
- How tall is Michael Bloomberg? 3 Years Ago
- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
Kirsten Stewart had a big night on Saturday. She hosted Saturday Night Live for the first time, called out President Donald Trump for tweeting about her past relationship with Twilight co-star Robert Pattinson, and officially came out of the closet during her opening monologue by describing herself as “so gay, dude,” with the sentiment directed at the 45th president himself.
Of course, the social media response was swift—and welcoming.
when i find myself in times of trouble kristen stewart comes to me, speaking words of wisdom: “i’m like so gay, dude”
— rose (@lleuadau) February 5, 2017
KRISTEN STEWART ON SNL MY LIL GAY HEART IS SHRIEKING ON MY BIRTHDAY TOO I CANT BREATHE
— brie keatley (@brie_june) January 22, 2017
All of the gays are going to explode tn watching Kristen Stewart. She’s literally so gay and so hot like WEVE BEEN WAITING FOREVER FOR THIS
— hairy scary feminist (@KHarterr) February 4, 2017
Stewart’s sexuality hasn’t exactly been a secret, but this was the first time she publicly used the word “gay” to describe her sexual orientation. Tabloids, and Kirsten herself, have discussed her relationships with women, but her actual queer identity was a bit of an elephant in the room.
While celebrities and public figures don’t have any obligation to come out about their sexual orientation or gender identity, doing so does help normalize LGBTQ people for the general public. It can be particularly helpful to queer youth to see role models and people they identify with own their queer sexuality.
You can watch Kristen’s entire monologue below.
Marissa Higgins is the editor of Green Matters. Her work has appeared in the Washington Post, Slate, Salon, NPR, and elsewhere.