- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Today 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Today 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Today 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Today 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Today 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Today 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
The “Free The Nipple” campaign has existed in various forms since 2014, aimed at fighting indecent exposure laws and online censorship that keep women from showing their nipples the way men can. And now, Kendall Jenner has joined the cause.
In a post on her app, Jenner addresses images of her wearing a sheer top, where her nipples are clearly visible. “I really don’t see what the big deal is with going braless!” she wrote. “I think it’s cool and I really just don’t care! It’s sexy, it’s comfortable, and I’m cool with my breasts. That’s it!” For the record, this isn’t the first time Jenner has posted a nip pic.
A photo posted by Kendall (@kendalljenner) on
Platforms like Facebook and Instagram prohibit “graphic content” on their sites, and both often consider photos of breasts to fall into that category, whether it’s a photo of a woman breastfeeding or one simply topless. However, many point out that nipple-baring photos of men seem to be no problem on these platforms, and that the line between decent and indecent is confusing and sexist.
For instance, on a recent episode of the TV show Botched, a woman who had a double mastectomy had a “nipple banking” procedure, in which doctors temporarily moved her nipples to her abdomen until they could repair her implants. Her nipples were blurred when they were on her breasts, but not when they were on her abdomen. Later, she had her nipples replaced with tattoos of nipples, which were also blurred. Because the world can’t handle such scandalous tattoos.
Photo via Taja Denay Davis/Facebook
Most of the time, the only difference between a male nipple and a female nipple is some extra fatty tissue and the ability of one to secrete milk. Besides, it’s July. It’s hot out. Let everyone cool their nips.
Jaya Saxena is a lifestyle writer and editor whose work focuses primarily on women's issues and web culture. Her writing has appeared in GQ, ELLE, the Toast, the New Yorker, Tthe Hairpin, BuzzFeed, Racked, Eater, Catapult, and others. She is the co-author of 'Dad Magazine,' the author of 'The Book Of Lost Recipes,' and the co-author of 'Basic Witches.'