- Alinity Divine hasn’t been punished for throwing her cat—and people are livid Today 10:16 AM
- Gamer Krucial B passes away during Defend the North tournament Today 9:25 AM
- Brexit supporter Boris Johnson becomes prime minister—spawning lots of memes Today 9:16 AM
- Democrats want to ban use of facial recognition in public housing Today 8:29 AM
- In America’s meme war, the left and right are fighting different battles Today 8:10 AM
- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU Today 7:18 AM
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ Today 7:08 AM
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online Today 7:00 AM
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to clear your search history on Instagram Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX Today 5:00 AM
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
‘Handmaids’ storm the Capitol to protest the Senate GOP’s healthcare bill
Hulu’s Margaret Atwood-adapted series A Handmaid’s Tale has sparked a never-ending series of protests against anti-abortion legislation. Led by women in red cloaks and white bonnets, symbolizing the show’s oppressed handmaids, Tuesday’s protest saw the wrath of women against the Senate GOP’s secretive healthcare bill.
Currently outside the Capitol pic.twitter.com/fn3KGfaljA— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) June 27, 2017
This protest was staged by Planned Parenthood to protest the GOP healthcare bill pic.twitter.com/zIcaYjo9GD— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) June 27, 2017
According to the Hill, 30 handmaid-garbed women traveled from New York to Washington, D.C. to launch to the People’s Filibuster in a protesting effort held by Planned Parenthood and other organizations. The Better Care Reconciliation Act, the Senate GOP’s healthcare bill, would cut federal funding for Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers for one year.
“Slashing Medicaid and blocking millions of women from getting preventive care at Planned Parenthood is beyond heartless. One in five women in this country rely on Planned Parenthood for care. They will not stay silent as politicians vote to take away their care and their rights,” Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards had previously said in a statement regarding the proposal.
Handmaids are now circled around an anti-GOP healthcare plan rally that MoveOn, PP and others are kicking off pic.twitter.com/kEeBBZ3G5n— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) June 27, 2017
At least the handmaids enjoyed a moment of shade while having to stand in those full-length robes. Praised be.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.