- Who is Corn Pop? Here are all the theories about the gang leader from Joe Biden’s past Sunday 4:37 PM
- Fresh sexual misconduct allegations against Kavanaugh spur calls for impeachment Sunday 3:28 PM
- Mike Pence says a triple crown winning racehorse bit him Sunday 12:51 PM
- Disney CEO Bob Iger leaves Apple board amid streaming wars Sunday 12:01 PM
- Influencer Destiny Marquez faces backlash for berating Forever 21 employee Sunday 10:32 AM
- Chelsea Handler tackles system racism in ‘Hello Privilege. It’s Me, Chelsea’ Sunday 9:18 AM
- Gun control proposal: Trump, lawmakers considering background check-conducting app Sunday 9:05 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Jets on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are anons? Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Eagles vs. Falcons on Sunday Night Football Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 4 Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream WWE’s Clash of Champions 2019 Saturday 8:00 PM
- How ‘F*ck off Scotland’ became a Scottish rallying cry amid Brexit madness Saturday 6:28 PM
- A Missouri officer resigned after his Islamophobic Facebook posts surfaced Saturday 5:08 PM
- Adding ‘Triggered’ to stock photos of white men creates Netflix comedy special thumbnails Saturday 3:10 PM
Hulu’s Margaret Atwood-adapted series A Handmaid’s Tale has sparked a never-ending series of protests against anti-abortion legislation. Led by women in red cloaks and white bonnets, symbolizing the show’s oppressed handmaids, Tuesday’s protest saw the wrath of women against the Senate GOP’s secretive healthcare bill.
Currently outside the Capitol pic.twitter.com/fn3KGfaljA— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) June 27, 2017
This protest was staged by Planned Parenthood to protest the GOP healthcare bill pic.twitter.com/zIcaYjo9GD— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) June 27, 2017
According to the Hill, 30 handmaid-garbed women traveled from New York to Washington, D.C. to launch to the People’s Filibuster in a protesting effort held by Planned Parenthood and other organizations. The Better Care Reconciliation Act, the Senate GOP’s healthcare bill, would cut federal funding for Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers for one year.
“Slashing Medicaid and blocking millions of women from getting preventive care at Planned Parenthood is beyond heartless. One in five women in this country rely on Planned Parenthood for care. They will not stay silent as politicians vote to take away their care and their rights,” Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards had previously said in a statement regarding the proposal.
Handmaids are now circled around an anti-GOP healthcare plan rally that MoveOn, PP and others are kicking off pic.twitter.com/kEeBBZ3G5n— Taylor Lorenz (@TaylorLorenz) June 27, 2017
At least the handmaids enjoyed a moment of shade while having to stand in those full-length robes. Praised be.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.