- Body camera shows officer boasting about arresting a 6-year-old 2 Months Ago
- Singer Duffy opens up about the rape, captivity that led her to stop singing 2 Months Ago
- Cynthia Nixon embodies feminist rage in viral video Today 3:30 PM
- Samsung factory shuts down amid confirmed coronavirus case Today 3:08 PM
- Bebe Rexha says she won’t be ‘imprisoned’ by bipolar disorder Today 2:33 PM
- The ‘your music saved me’ meme celebrates the wackiest influences of our time Today 2:20 PM
- This guy slapped his mom’s boobs for a TikTok and, honestly, it’s exhausting Today 12:37 PM
- Jif peanut butter and Giphy have joined forces on how to pronounce ‘GIF’ Today 12:19 PM
- This dad threw a 1-year HRT party for his trans son and the internet can’t get enough of it Today 11:44 AM
- This petition wants Pornhub to be shut down for good Today 11:03 AM
- Pete Buttigieg’s speech voice is suspiciously like Obama’s Today 10:56 AM
- Exposé about Bernie staffer’s Twitter leads to his firing—and an online class war Today 10:40 AM
- Netflix adds Top 10 feature to showcase what’s popular Today 10:24 AM
- YouTube permanently bans ‘news’ channel that said impeachment was ‘Jew coup’ Today 10:21 AM
- FIFA pro banned from all EA games following threatening rant Today 10:16 AM
A DoorDash driver was shot and killed by two robbers inside of a Denny’s on Christmas morning. Virginia police are now searching for the two men, who are still at large.
According to Complex, at around 2:30am on Christmas morning, the robbers entered a Denny’s brandishing a gun and a baton, demanding patrons hand over their valuables and employees empty the cash registers. As they fled the restaurant, 56-year-old Yusuf Ozgur was on his way in to pick up a DoorDash delivery. During their encounter, one of the men hit Ozgur with his baton and the other shot him. Ozgur was rushed to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead. The two men also shot and wounded another man after he refused to hand over his personal possessions, but he is expected to recover.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Yusuf Ozgur, a Manassas-area Dasher,” DoorDash wrote in a statement to the Associated Press. “Our thoughts are with his family, friends and loved ones, and we are reaching out to his family to offer our full support during this difficult time.”
The tragedy prompted an outpouring of support online. A GoFundMe page set up on behalf of Ozgur’s wife has raised more than $125,000, surpassing its initial goal of $100,000. The funds will go toward his medical and funeral expenses. Ozgur left behind a wife and two young children, according to the page. Any leftover donations will be going to them.
The Prince William Police Department released descriptions of the men and is urging the public to come forward with any additional information.
*UPDATE: #PWCPD detectives have released additional information regarding the early morning robbery at the Denny's on Sudley Rd in #Manassas that resulted in the shooting death of a 56-year-old man and critically wounded an 34-year-old man. More info; https://t.co/n8TA1JJjSo https://t.co/OGJgTzjvx4 pic.twitter.com/EIhsF66v9i— Prince William PD (@PWCPolice) December 26, 2019
“Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the Prince William County Police Department tipline at 703.792.7000 or submit a webtip to: www.pwcgov.org/policetip,” the police department’s Facebook page urged.
- Pokémon Go player fatally shot after witnessing robbery
- Somali DoorDash driver assaulted, told to ‘go back where you came from’ by customer
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.