- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season 1 Month Ago
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
- Man allegedly targeted trans women on dating app, robbed them at knifepoint Tuesday 3:02 PM
Influencer Destiny Marquez, Daisy Marquez’s sister, is on the receiving end of vitriol after posting a video of herself rudely confronting a Forever 21 employee.
“Y’all really stanning people that treat customer service workers like THIS?” Twitter user @9ssy9 posted, along with a recording of Marquez’s Snapchat video.
In the video, Marquez berates the employee for trying to give her in-store credit rather than her cash back for a purchase–consisting of a pair of shoes and clothing item–that she does not have the receipt for.
“Apparently they don’t give money back ’cause they don’t have a receipt, and they just do in-store credit, which I think is oblivious,” Marquez says in the video. “I just wanted to tell everybody like Forever 21 is trash as fuck. This is why they are going bankrupt.”
At first, Marquez does not show the employee’s face but changes her mind as she gets more upset. Marquez says of the employee, now showing his face, “and now he’s giving me attitude.” And then, she repeatedly asks for his name while recording him, despite him repeatedly asking her not to. He refuses to give her his name on camera.
“Baby, can you go find the store manager, please?” Marquez says to her presumed boyfriend, who is not in the camera’s view.
The employee at the cash register then identifies himself as the manager and threatens to call the store’s headquarters on Marquez and her boyfriend. The couple continues to instigate a fight, but the manager firmly requests they leave.
Many were surprised by Marquez’s “entitled” behavior toward the employee, who was just doing his job and especially confused by her decision to publicize it. Twitter user @9ssy9’s video has been viewed nearly 2 million times.
“She’s just being an entitled bitch. Don’t treat customer service workers like this, especially bc they don’t get paid enough. EVERYONE knows their policy,” Twitter user @destineyyl wrote.
Ok .ok I thought she meant they’re trash for other reasons bc I don’t have her on snap, didn’t see this. but now that I see she’s just being an entitled bitch. Don’t treat customer service workers like this, especially bc they don’t get paid enough. EVERYONE knows their policy.— Destiney Losoya (@destineyyl) September 13, 2019
@destinymarquez_ @Forever21 isn’t going bankrupt but by the way you’re acting it looks like you will if you don’t get your cash back! If you don’t like the policy guest what? Take it up with @Forever21 corporate office not the employee who was just doing his job! Also pic.twitter.com/06K0Z1H6Oh— ᄅXᄅ¯ɹoʇɔoᗡɓuıɹoqǝɥ⊥ (@I_hate_sum_mer) September 13, 2019
In response to the backlash, Marquez issued an apology for “acting out” in the video and blamed her behavior on naivety.
“I should’ve never treated the retail worker that way because he was just doing his job. It makes me so sad seeing that video because it’s so ugly and I don’t know who that was and I’m so disappointed in myself but this is a learning lesson and this is only going to shape me into a better person,” she wrote.
Marquez also said she will be contacting Forever 21 to get the manager’s information so that she can “verbally apologize.”
People love using “I’m young & still learning” as an excuse. Girl never in my entire life at ANY age have I disrespected anyone because I couldn’t get what I wanted. I— gabs ♎️ (@gabsreg) September 13, 2019
I hope you go back and apologize to that guy to his face.
Someone even created a poll to ask Twitter users if they believed Marquez’s apology was sincere–and 99% of the 10,973 voters voted “no.”
she apologized, y’all think she being sincere?— ISSY (@9ssy9) September 13, 2019
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.