- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
- Uber says it will audio-record rides to address safety concerns Thursday 12:41 PM
- ‘Avengers: Endgame’ writers go in-depth on how they decided which superheroes lived and died Thursday 12:22 PM
- How to watch Duke vs. Cal in the 2K Empire classic Thursday 12:09 PM
- Trump’s impeachment notes get riffed into punk songs Thursday 12:01 PM
- Pete Buttigieg can’t do the Pete Buttigieg dance Thursday 11:55 AM
- How a woman’s cold ‘rejection form’ text message became an ’emotional labor’ meme Thursday 11:52 AM
Donte Palmer, a 31-year-old teacher and father of three boys, went viral with an Instagram post showing his struggle to change his son’s diaper in a public restroom.
The post served as a strong visual reminder that changing tables are not a staple of men’s bathrooms—and it’s prompting people on social media to demand that be fixed.
Wait wait wait there's not changing tables in men's bathrooms?! Lmao so they rly just assumed only women carry kids around?! Humans are such a bad idea omg when is our upgrade https://t.co/EHalcS1wnO— Tracee Ellis Sauce (@holadamilola) September 27, 2018
This Dad is what being a Dad is about. He's balancing himself while caring for what is most precious. I'm with Donte Palmer too. Changing tables in men's restrooms, no one should have to try to care for their child and balance against a wall. https://t.co/Hie7sPhq07— JB (@Snucka242) September 26, 2018
A Jacksonville dad Donte Palmer says he's tired of having no where to change his son's diaper:— Jess Mia (@JessForevrYoung) September 26, 2018
"Clearly, we do this often because look how comfortable my son is. It’s routine to him!!!! Let’s fix this problem!"
This Dad is what being a Dad is about! pic.twitter.com/DcJC3mRJUB
“My wife and I, we share everything equally,” Palmer told BuzzFeed News. “We cook and clean. We work hard—equally. Why do we share equal responsibility but society views us differently?”
Palmer said he often needs help from his 7-year-old son, Isaiah, when he’s changing Liam’s diapers because men’s bathrooms often aren’t equipped with a good surface for the routine task. Some restaurants have family bathrooms, but as Palmer points out, “they’re not everywhere.”
Palmer said that after one diaper change that became a balancing act, he knew to post photos on his Instagram to point out the unfairness.
“What’s the deal with not having changing tables in men’s bathroom as if we don’t exist!!” Palmer wrote in the photo’s caption. “Clearly we do this often because look how comfortable my son is. It’s routine to him!!!! Let’s fix this problem!
View this post on Instagram
This is a serious post!!! What’s the deal with not having changing tables in men’s bathroom as if we don’t exist!! #FLM #fatherslivesmatter clearly we do this often because look how comfortable my son is. It’s routine to him!!!! Let’s fix this problem! I Kaepernick drop a knee to this issue! @theshaderoom let’s show the innovation of fathers! #squatforchange
A post shared by Donte Palmer (@3boys_1goal) on
After entertainment media company @theshaderoom shared it, the post went viral.
A lot of commenters said they’ve faced similar struggles. Others said they were unaware of this issue until now. Palmer told BuzzFeed that he also started to receive messages from other dads about this issue.
“As a father, we need to be seen as an equal,” he told BuzzFeed. “We’re the stroller pushers [who] get up at 4am to warm the bottles.”
Palmer said he is asking fathers to raise awareness by sharing their own photos of diaper changes with #SquatForChange.
- Nike accused of workplace discrimination by non-binary software engineer
- The Women’s March is set for January 2019, but will that be too late?
- Feminist dad goes viral for his perfectly obvious ‘dating rules’ for his daughters
H/T BuzzFeed News
Sunny Kim studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in the Daily Texan and Popular Mechanics.