- Andy Ngo smears antifa activist killed in hit-and-run 8 Months Ago
- ‘Succession’ but with M&Ms is a pitch-perfect parody 8 Months Ago
- Logan Paul insists he’s pro-choice after ‘5 abortions’ controversy 8 Months Ago
- Save your Android from itself: How to delete Android apps Today 10:21 AM
- Meme video of Trump shooting politicians sparks outrage Today 8:53 AM
- Virtual Reality: Sex, marriage, and the future of relationships Today 7:00 AM
- Swipe This! My boyfriend is addicted to porn. Should I leave him? Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
An officer in Florida has been suspended for 20 days after an investigation showed he violated numerous rules, notably allowing a couple to make out in the back seat of his car while on duty.
Officer Doug McNeal of the Fort Pierce Police Department was transporting the couple in July after arresting them for shoplifting from a local Walmart. His body cam footage first shows he was looking for a woman who was reported to be wounded at the store. When he finds her, she won’t accept his help. However, minutes later, he responds to a call about a theft at the Walmart, reportedly involving the same woman and a man on crutches, according to WPTV. However, McNeal doesn’t turn on his body camera that time and instead reportedly watches them from surveillance.
It isn’t until an hour and a half later that McNeal, who recovered “stolen jewelry and baby toy” from the two, reportedly turns the camera back on. Footage published by WPTV shows he allowed them to smoke in the backseat of the police car. He also let them make out, with their activities clearly visible to the camera.
“We didn’t think we’re allowed to smoke in here,” the woman is heard saying from the backseat.
“Uh, you’re really not, but it’s fine,” McNeal says.
“I think they’re making babies back there,” another officer is heard saying in the video.
The couple has since been identified as Zachery Moellendick and Christa Leigh, according to an investigation report released Friday.
- Cop seized Black woman’s car in freezing weather, taunted her walk home on Snapchat
- Cops indicted for assault after texts show they planned to harm protesters
- The look of violent men
McNeal reportedly violated at least nine policies, including allowing Moellendick and Leigh to use tobacco products, not keeping handcuffs on when they were being transported to a medical facility, and neglect of duty, among others.
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque