woman on stretcher with breathing tube (l) clorox bleach bottle caption ' Accidental Bleach Inhalation cleaning my bathroom' (c) Woman in hospital breathing tube (r)


‘This is why I don’t clean’: TikToker claims using Clorox spray landed her in the hospital

'Not me buying KN95 masks on Amazon now.'


Cecilia Lenzen


Posted on Mar 13, 2022   Updated on Mar 30, 2022, 9:19 am CDT

A woman on TikTok says she was hospitalized and intubated after using a Clorox spray for the first time.

Jana Watson (@nursejana) shared several photos and videos of her trip to the hospital in a viral TikTok captioned, “1st time cleaning bathroom with bleach!” The video received about 2.7 million views and more than 2,100 comments on TikTok as of Sunday.

In the video, Watson said she had difficulty breathing after accidentally inhaling too much bleach. It appears that she was taken to the hospital in an ambulance then intubated. Intubation is the placement of a flexible plastic tube into a patient’s trachea to maintain an open airway or to serve as a conduit for administering certain drugs, according to WebMD.


1st time cleaning bathroom with bleach! #covidsmell #bleachfail hatechores@averywatson2115

♬ Originalton – POV’s

Viewers had mixed reactions to Watson’s testimony. Some cracked jokes while others shared their own hacks for cleaning with bleach.

“Not me buying KN95 masks on Amazon now so I can continue using my toxic chemicals,” one viewer commented on the video.

“Not me cleaning my bathroom with this yesterday and not beating able to breathe so I stuffed my nose with cotton,” another viewer said.

One TikToker wrote, “I always open the window or turn the fan on when cleaning with chemicals.”

To some viewers, Watson’s experience proved that they simply shouldn’t clean.

“I knew it, housework is bad for your health!!” one viewer joked.

“This is why I don’t clean,” another viewer said, hopefully joking.

In a second TikTok video, Watson shared a clip of herself struggling to breathe. Her breaths sounded short, raspy, and painful, and she was eventually put on a ventilator.


Caution with cleaning products, keep room ventilated, and windows and doors open!#psa #bleach #inhilation intubation@averywatson2115

♬ original sound – Jana Watson

As Newsweek notes, “Inhaling high levels of both chlorine and Sodium hypochlorite can lead to fluid build-up in the lungs, also called pulmonary edema.”

The Daily Dot reached out to the creator via TikTok comment, and Clorox via its media inquiries portal.

Today’s top stories

‘Fill her up’: Bartender gives woman a glass of water when the man she’s with orders tequila shot
‘I don’t think my store has even sold one’: Whataburger employees take picture with first customer who bought a burger box
‘It was a template used by anyone in the company’: Travel agent’s ‘condescending’ out-of-office email reply sparks debate
Sign up to receive the Daily Dot’s Internet Insider newsletter for urgent news from the frontline of online.
Share this article
*First Published: Mar 13, 2022, 11:00 am CDT